Admin > Section Editors > Field Editor > WYSIWYG
- Field Label
- This is the text displayed beside the field in the CMS Section Editor.
- Field Name
- This is the name the database and program use to refer to the field.
In your content viewers, you will use some simple code like this
<?php echo $record['fieldname']?>
to display the field data. If you change an existing fieldname, don't forget to update
the name in your viewers and Section Editor details as well.
Tip: There are some "special" fieldnames that provide additional functionality.
(See Special Fieldnames
- Field Type
- These are the different types of fields you can add to your menu. Some fields have
different options than others. Note that the separator field type doesn't require a field label or field name to be entered.
- Field Options
Options specific to the Field Type appear in this box. For most
fields, the defaults will be sufficient, but for "list" fields you will
need to set the values for your list options.
- Default Value
- This is the default field value that will appear when creating a new record.
Tip: A new or modified default will only apply to new entries - any old records won't use your new default, and will either be blank or have any old values you've entered.
- Field Height
- This is the height of the field in pixels. Leave blank to use the default height.
- Allow Uploads
- Whether or not uploads are allowed for this field. If allowed, an extra "Browse Uploads" icon will appear when adding links or inserting images.
- Input Validation
This allows you to make specific requirements for what gets entered into
the field. At the most basic, you can make the field required or unique, and
for text fields you can enter a list of characters to allow or disallow.
- This option requires the user to enter a value for the field. An error will be displayed if the field is left blank.
- This option requires the user to enter a unique value for the field. An error will be displayed if another record has the same value.
- Min Length
- This option indicates the minimum length of the field value. An error will be displayed in the value is shorter.
- Max Length
- This option indicates the maximum length of the field value. An error will be displayed in the value is longer.
- File Extensions Allowed
- This is a comma separated list of file types (by extensions) that can be uploaded. If a user tries to upload a file with an
extension that isn't in this list they will get an error message.
- Maximum Uploads
- This is the maximum number of uploads that is allowed for this field. An error will be displayed
if the user tries to upload more than the limit. Removing previous uploads will allow more to be uploaded.
Uncheck this option to allow unlimited uploads.
- Maximum Upload Size
- This is the maximum upload file size that is allowed. An error will be displayed if a user tries to
upload a file that is larger than this amount. Uncheck this option to allow any size.
- Resize images larger than
- If enabled, and an image is uploaded that is larger than this size, it will automatically be resized.
- Create image thumbnails
- If enabled, a smaller thumbnail image will automatically be created for each image uploaded.
- Advanced Options
- System Field
- System fields cannot be edited and have no modify or erase link unless "System Field Editing" is enabled (under Advanced Commands on the field list page).
The purpose of this setting is to make it harded to accidentally or unknowingly change a program field that might otherwise break things.
- Admin Only
- Fields with this option set will only be visible and can only be modified by Admin users in the Section Editor.
- Upload Directory
- The default upload folder is in the program directory
This option allows you to specify a custom upload directory where uploads and thumbnails will be stored for this field.