CMSB v3.62 Beta 1 - New Mailer and Improved Section Editor Sorting (UPDATE: Beta 2 Released)
We're pleased to announce the arrival of v3.62 Beta 1. We have two new significant features we're testing:
- New Mailer: We've switched from SwiftMailer to the more modern PHPMailer. We could use some help testing the send via SMTP feature. If you have any servers or mail accounts with any of the following you can use to test we'd love to get some feedback. You can configure these from under: Admin >Email Settings:
- SMTP Server - Unsecured Connection
- SMTP Server Secured Connection using SSL
- SMTP Server Secured Connection using TLS
The easiest way to test outgoing mail is to open a private browsing window, go to the CMSB login page and use the Password Reset feature. It should send you an email but won't change anything else.
- Improved Section Editor Sorting: This is a long-time requested feature that we ourselves have been wanting. Under Section Editors, you can now check to select multiple sections and drag them all at once to a new position. We also track the mouse position so as you move your cursor towards the edge of the screen it will automatically scroll up or down, and if you get really close the edge it will scroll really fast. All are designed to make it easy to quickly re-order menus.
Here's the complete changelog:
*** October 6, 2023 - Version 3.62 (Improved Section Editor Sorting and New Mailer)
- This software version REQUIRES: PHP 8.0+ and MySQL 5.5+
- Section Editors: Multi-record drag sorting is now supported for quickly re-ordering tables
- Sending Mail: Switched to PHP Mailer v6.8.1 (instead of Swift Mailer)
MINOR CHANGES & BUG FIXES
- Debugging Info: Added additional .htaccess check for mod_security to help identify server restrictions
- Code Cleanup: Removed Suhosin detection and workarounds, as they're no longer widely used
- Code Generator: Resolved error: Undefined array key "function"
- Misc Code and other minor improvements.
You can download the latest beta here: https://www.interactivetools.com/order/download.php
Please post any feedback, questions, or bugs you find!
We've just released Beta 2 here: https://www.interactivetools.com/download/
Instead of using the PHPMailer defaults, we're now using a default encoding of UTF-8 which should correctly display non-English characters, and we're now using a message encoding of "quoted-printable" which should better support older email servers and clients.
One thing I've noticed while testing PHPMailer using the sendMessage function is sending will fail if "CC" or "BCC" headers are set without values ('CC' isn't a valid email!; 'BCC' isn't a valid email!).
Usage context, in our CMS installations we provide optional text fields for users to add email addresses as "CC" or "BCC". The previous mailer implementation would simply ignore these headers if no values were set. I'm sure we could modify our process to create the headers array dynamically, but would prefer not needing to patch all instances. Otherwise it seems to work well!
Section Editor Sorting:
Very nice! This functionality would be great for the Fields portion as well.
Thanks for your feedback and testing! This is a critical component so I'm glad we had your help to test it on multiple servers before release.
Zaba: Yes, the Form Generator plugin will automatically start using the new mailer as this hooks in behind the scenes to our sendMessage() function.
Deborah: Thanks for confirming that works, and yes, it was a good couple of days of work! :-)
Steve: Good find, I'll patch that right away.
I'll push out the official release shortly.
We've released the official version here with a few additional bug fixes:
Thanks so much for your help, we've got some cool new features in development for future releases as well, more info on that to come!