Test Script

By Toledoh - July 29, 2010

Hi Guys.

I keep moving forward with various things only to find that some components for plugins aren't available with my host.

You've supplied to me in the past a "test.php" that runs a short script that tests for settings... this specifically was for the download email plugin.

I was wondering if it would be worth having that kind of resource for each plug in, or even CMSB as a whole? I normally ask the host "do you support x, y & z" and they say "sure!", and it's only after installing and playing around that I find there's a problem.

I'm now searching for an Australian based host that supports everything, from the PDF requirements to the email requirements, and it would be great to be able to upload a file and be assured that it does REALLY support all the functions.

What do you think?
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [Toledoh] Test Script

By Chris - August 4, 2010

Hi Tim,

Sorry you're having trouble with hosts! :(

That's a great idea and I'll add it to our wish list. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be very easy (for example, the PDF tests alone are almost 200 lines of code.) I'll bring it up with Dave and see if we can come up with a solution for you.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [Toledoh] Test Script

By Dave - August 4, 2010

Hi Tim,

We usually try to strike a mix of showing errors on hosts that don't support required features and trying to work around the hosts limitations.

The thing with PHP is hosts can arbitrarily disable _any_ feature or part of it. You can check for this by search for 'disable_functions' in phpinfo <?php phpinfo() ?> or in in cmsb it's: admin.php?menu=admin&action=phpinfo

Anyways, we'd have to figure out exactly what to test for. But I think it's a good idea.

In the meantime, let me know if you need help testing anything on any of the hosts you are trying out.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com