templates

3 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 3, 2008   (RSS)

By exiledgoblin - November 2, 2008

I've tried a half dozen CMS platforms and they all choke over inflexible template systems.

The video demo of CMS Builder shows a design template and there is some mention on the site of a Template Monster discount but I can't find anything in the docs about how the templates work or what kinds of templates would work with CMS builder. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Re: [exiledgoblin] templates

By Kenny - November 2, 2008

One of the cool things about CMS Builder is that there are no templates. In a nutshell, here's how it works:

1. You build a section in the backend to collect data that you want to display on a website page

2. You take the generated code (kind of like placeholders) and insert them into your website where you want them.

You can build your template however you would normally do it. CMS doesn't constrain you to any particular type of template except that your files must be php files.

Let me know if you have any other questions -

Kenny

Re: [sagentic] templates

By Perchpole - November 3, 2008

Hi, Sagnetic -

You can't just "drop a template" on a CMSB site - in the same way you would with Joomla and others. As far as I'm concerned that's a good thing!

The trouble with template-driven sites is that they very often all look the same. Joomla is a perfect example of this. Joomla sites all seem to have a certain "look" about them - even the sites that use commercial templates.

CMSB isn't like that. That's why developers using it need to approach projects from a different direction. In many respects it's a case of going back to the old-school way of constructing a site from the ground up. This gives you enormous scope and control - two ingredients which are in pretty short supply with tools like Joomla.

:0\

Perchpole