separating categories

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 16, 2008   (RSS)

By kapelle - September 15, 2008

Hi, I have three parent categories:

music
software
links

I have a bunch of articles on the different topics, and have assigned the topics to a parent category (articles about "music" have been assigned to the "music" parent category.

I've grouped these all together in one section editor category so I can have all the articles for a specific date appear on my homepage. - and you all helped me with this on another post.

My question now is, Is there a way to separate the categories?

Would I have music.php, software.php and links.php pages? All the music articles would be on the music.php page, etc.

Re: [kapelle] separating categories

By Dave - September 15, 2008

Hi Kapelle,

So all your articles are in one section and you have a pulldown called 'category' with music, software, and links? Is that right?

If so, you can "filter" results like this:

yourViewer.php.php?category=music

or in the code:

'where' => ' category = "music" ',

Let me know if that does when you need.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] separating categories

By kapelle - September 15, 2008

I'm not sure what you mean by "pulldown."

Instead of having Multi Record section editors for each topic, I have them all listed in one Category Menu section editor called "resources."

music, software and links are all under "resources" as parent categories, and I assign articles to these parent categories.

Are you saying I should create a Multi Record section editor (not a Category Menu) and add a list field, display as pulldown, create music, software and links list options, then tag my articles using this pulldown?

Re: [kapelle] separating categories

By Dave - September 16, 2008

>Are you saying I should create a Multi Record section
>editor (not a Category Menu) and add a list field,
>display as pulldown, create music, software and links
>list options, then tag my articles using this pulldown?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I'm not sure about your site layout. Is there anything you need the category menu for or could you try this other method?

I'd start with the method (multi-record section with a list field) and see if that does everything you need.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com