separating categories

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 16, 2008   (RSS)

By kapelle - September 15, 2008

Hi, I have three parent categories:

music
software
links

I have a bunch of articles on the different topics, and have assigned the topics to a parent category (articles about "music" have been assigned to the "music" parent category.

I've grouped these all together in one section editor category so I can have all the articles for a specific date appear on my homepage. - and you all helped me with this on another post.

My question now is, Is there a way to separate the categories?

Would I have music.php, software.php and links.php pages? All the music articles would be on the music.php page, etc.

Re: [kapelle] separating categories

By Dave - September 15, 2008

Hi Kapelle,

So all your articles are in one section and you have a pulldown called 'category' with music, software, and links? Is that right?

If so, you can "filter" results like this:

yourViewer.php.php?category=music

or in the code:

'where' => ' category = "music" ',

Let me know if that does when you need.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] separating categories

By kapelle - September 15, 2008

I'm not sure what you mean by "pulldown."

Instead of having Multi Record section editors for each topic, I have them all listed in one Category Menu section editor called "resources."

music, software and links are all under "resources" as parent categories, and I assign articles to these parent categories.

Are you saying I should create a Multi Record section editor (not a Category Menu) and add a list field, display as pulldown, create music, software and links list options, then tag my articles using this pulldown?