Clients easily optimizing photos?

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 23, 2023   (RSS)

Hi rez,

So is the problem that the file size is too large and take too long to upload? 

I assume you have the 'Maximum upload size:' unchecked in the field editor for the image in question.

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By rez - February 2, 2023

The problem is that photos need to be limited to a reasonable web optimized size. For instance, 500kb, depending on the situation. However, most clients want to take a picture and upload it quickly and not go to their computer or other process. 

If they take a shot with their phone, it will most likely be a couple of megabytes. I would not want them to upload it unlimited. I know that CMSB has a quality setting and does some optimization but in my experience, the photos become blurry pretty fast yet are not a small file size efficiently. Am I wrong?

I can easy get most large photos looking crisp and minimal compression at 300kb max, exporting from photoshop. CMSB doesn't do this well.

Should I revisit? That has always been my results. Blurry or too large.

By rez - February 2, 2023

Oops. I deleted the wrong post.

Thanks Jerry. I will try unlimited and the different global quality settings and see how those results are. Maybe I can get a nice result and had something set wrong in the past. I usually maintain the sites myself and don't have an issue optimizing with Photoshop. I just tried setting on unlimited and got a 1.6 megabyte to 300kb at 800x600 pixels. I guess I can't expect Photoshop results, I just know I can get that same photo size and quality smaller.

Over all though, 300kb isn't so bad, that just seems large for such a small photo. I'll try some different sizes and CMSB qualities.

I recently just tried someone's Wix site and the photo features were fantastic so came to see what others were doing here.  

Hey Rez,

You can always resize the photos after upload by choosing the Maximum upload size:  as unlimited and then checking the Resize images larger than: and setting that for your optimum size.

I haven't had any issues with that, however, it sounds like you're still saying that you want a lower file size uploaded from the phone.

That would suggest a phone setting or 3rd party app for the phone.

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php