multiple criteria search

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 17, 2016   (RSS)

By willydoit - November 17, 2016

Hi all,

sorry if this is really basic stuff but I want to be certain of the answer before I put the time in creating it.

I have a table which includes a "multi selection list" of facilities that accommodation providers can use to indicate services provided by them, ie credit cards accepted, manager on site, stair lift, pets accepted etc.

I want to be able to perform two functions

a) allow visitors to the site to select any number of these requirements in a search form to have the search return only the accommodations which match all the requirements and

b) on the viewer page for each business display in a list form all the facilities selected by the advertiser as being provided by them.

I achieved this previously by having individual fields for all services with a simple yes or no selection for each one but rather than having individual fields I now want to have just one multi selection field to make things neater.

I was advised that this would be complex with the software as it was 6 years ago but am assuming that as things have progressed this would now be possible.

It would be appreciated if someone could advice whether this is easily achievable using a single multi option field

Thanks in advance

By willydoit - November 17, 2016

Thanks Mizrahi,

At least I now know it's possible so can create my table accordingly.

By ross - November 17, 2016

Hi there.

I can give you some pointers on how to set this up.  

How comfortable are you with SQL?

What we need to do is create a custom WHERE statement and use that to filter your records on the results page.

I would consider this kind of setup as "moderate to advanced"  and not "easy".

The first step will be to create your search page and your search results page. For now, the search results page can be setup to display all records from the table (ie: don't worry about the filter yet).  

When you have those setup, can you attach a copy of each to this thread? Don't just paste the code; actually attach the files.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/