3.05 - How to force Field Prefix and Field Description to be on seperate lins form a text field

10 posts by 7 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 27, 2016   (RSS)

By kkegans - June 23, 2016

I use to use <br /> at the end or beginning of the of the field prefix and field descriptions to force them to be on separate lines from the text field or text box input areas, but that does not seem to work in 3.05.  Is there a different solution for this?

CMSB Rocks!

Thanks,

Kurt

By gregThomas - June 23, 2016

Hey Kurt,

The latest version of CMS Builder actually pushes the description onto a separate line once the users browser window is too narrow to display the content on the same line.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way you can force the label to always be on a separate line without modification of the HTML in CMS Builder.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Kurt - June 23, 2016 - edited: June 23, 2016

Was it by design or oversight that this occurred?  I believe it leads to a poorer UX that we were able to have before, and unprofessional display results.

Please look at the attached images.

By kitsguru - July 3, 2016

You can do an override as a temporary fix. Create a file called custom.css in the main cmsb folder.

# sets the help text to red - optional

.form-inline .div-inline-block:first-child .help-block {
    color: #f00;
}

# override the display property just for the pre-text
.form-inline .div-inline-block:first-child {

display: block !important;
}

Jeff Shields

By In-House-Logic - July 6, 2016

We've done similar things and it works well.

It would actually be helpful for all the form elements to receive class names. If they had both general (class="prefix') and tied to the element (class = "prefix prefix-myFieldName") in the HTML then we could be very specific with styling code. I remember discussing this option with the team a few years ago.

Jayme

By Daryl - July 6, 2016

Hi all,

Jayme: in v3.03, we've added a plugin filter called "showField_addRowClass" that enables a plugin to add a class to a field row.
It will add a class to a div with "form-group" class which is the parent div of the label's and field's.

Kurt: Can you try Jeff's solution?

I will have a discussion with our senior programmer about supporting <br> or making a field appear on the next line.

Thanks,

Daryl Maximo

By In-House-Logic - July 7, 2016

That's great to know, Daryl! This may be a real option to help some of our clients decide to migrate to 3.x.

Thank you.

J.

By Daryl - July 27, 2016

Hi all,

I just want to update this thread to let everyone knows that we've updated the text field prefix.

On the next CMSB release (v3.06), adding <br> at the end of the prefix will bring the following text field to a new line.

A similar update was done for the text field description where adding <br> tag at the beginning will bring the description to a new line below the text field.

Cheers,

Daryl Maximo

By In-House-Logic - July 27, 2016

Thanks Daryl. That's a nice option to have.

Jayme