Using CMS data on another website

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 16, 2016   (RSS)

By superhappybunnycat - February 14, 2016

I realise what I'm asking isn't really possible, however hoping that there is some way it is possible or that someone might have some suggestions on something that could work.

I've built a membership website using CMSB + the membership plugin. When users login the header bar changes and they can access the member only content, one link of which is the forum which is hosted externally by forums.net.

I've customised the header and footer of the forum so it matches the site. The idea was that it would seem like a seamless experience when clicking between the website and the forum.

However as the forum is hosted externally "if current user" codes do not work which means I cannot dynamically change the header info depending on if the user has logged in or not. I could have just put in the logged in links permanently however there are 2 levels of membership. One has access to 2 links, and the other the full 4 links so I didn't really want to have the extra 2 links show for the lower level memberships (even though I know I can block them from accessing the actual content if they click on it)

By superhappybunnycat - February 15, 2016

Hi Greg,
It has single sign on enabled, so if the user doesn't exist it creates them, and if they do it just logs them into their existing account

I kind of set it up that way, showing the 4 links with regular code. There were supposed to be some drop downs though with other content that comes from the CMS which I'm not able to show currently

By gregThomas - February 16, 2016

Hi, 

I'd suggest contacting the forums.net support and seeing if they have a system that would allow you to make particular menu content appear for particular users, and if there is a way you can add the missing menu items as well. 

Is this site live yet? We have a forum plugin for CMS Builder which we use internally, and are hoping to release soon. An alternative would be to use that instead of the forums.net plugin. If you contact consulting@interactivetools.com, we give you more details on implementing it. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com