Reducing server load

14 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 19, 2013   (RSS)

By Dave - December 18, 2013

Hi Jerry, 

In MySQL single or double quotes means a string or text value to compare to.  If a fieldname needs to be quoted these use `backticks` for that.

So try this instead: 

`use_large-banners`

You were probably getting errors because the column name contains a - which MySQL doesn't know isn't a subtraction operator.  

Let me know if that works for you.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By gkornbluth - December 18, 2013

Hi Dave,

Sorry the - was a typo in the post only,

Anyway I must be gaining on it because I get a different error now: (and I know that there is a checkbox field named use_large_banners in the accounts table

MySQL Error: Unknown column 'use_large_banners' in 'where clause' (at old_alias_functions.php line 142 in function mysql_select_query)

With the code:

<?php // load uploads from accounts
     $uploadRecords = mysql_select('uploads', " tableName = 'accounts' AND fieldName = 'large_banners' AND `use_large_banners` =  '1'");
?>

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By Dave - December 19, 2013

Hi Jerry,

Ahh, ok, I see where you're going with this.   You're pretty much working with MySQL at this point to get the data you want out of the database. Try this:

$accountsSubquery = "SELECT num FROM {$TABLE_PREFIX}accounts WHERE `use_large_banners` = '1' ";
$uploadsWhere     = " tableName = 'accounts' AND fieldName = 'large_banners' AND recordNum IN ($accountsSubquery)";
$records          = mysql_select('uploads', $uploadsWhere);

// debug - show output
showme($records);
print "Done";
exit;

If you were going to write that as a straight MySQL query it would look something like this:

SELECT * FROM cms_uploads
 WHERE tableName = 'accounts'
       AND fieldName = 'large_banners'
       AND recordNum IN (SELECT num FROM cms_accounts WHERE `use_large_banners` = '1')

Let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions about how it works.  Cheers!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com