Saving General Settings and Uploading Issues

20 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 25, 2013   (RSS)

By clowden - November 11, 2013

We just launched a website last week and everything was working properly on our development server, but when took it live on the clients server we started having some issues. I did some searching on the forums and found someone with this same problem and was told to just update the permissions. The client does not allow us to do that, they have to change the permissions and he is telling us everything is correct. Below is the error I get when I try and save the General Settings through the CMS. I can make changes manually through the settings code, but obviously should not have to.

Error writing C:/XXXX/wwwroot/XXXX/admin/data/settings.dat.php: 
file_put_contents(C:/XXXX/wwwroot/XXXX/admin/data/settings.dat.php.528139a65ce649.46133844-temp.php): 
failed to open stream: Permission denied (at common.php line 357 in function file_put_contents_atomic)

Our second problem is that we cannot upload anything through the CMS, we have been assured the paths are correct and the permissions are what they should be, but still nothing. When I try and upload something, it goes through the normal process and it says it saves, but does not. I've tried relocating the uploads folder outside of the admin folder and the same happens.  I am at a loss and am not sure where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

By clowden - November 13, 2013 - edited: November 13, 2013

Thank you for getting back to me Daryl.

I am not able to see uploads on the server if the CMS tells me they were uploaded. I had him try 777, 775 as well as 755 and the same issue happened each time. I think it is a permission issue as well, but I can only go by what the client is saying. This is the 3rd or 4th CMS we've gone through with this client, and we have not had an issue until now.

The settings.dat.php I know for a fact is not 666, so I will have him try that and get back.

EDIT: My contact got back to me and asked me if there is a Windows equivalency to the numbers.

Thanks again,

Chris

By Daryl - November 13, 2013

Hi Chris,

As far as I know, there's no file permission in Windows server. If your client's server is in Windows, file permission might not be the problem.

Can you tell us how you installed CMSB to their server? It might be because the system is trying to update the settings.dat.php file in a wrong location. This happens when we just upload everything without actually installing the system.

If it sounds like it's an installation issue, can you try to re-install it and restore using back up data and let us know if that fixes the problem? And just in case you need a guide, you can check out this link: http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/move_servers.html

Cheers!

Daryl Maximo
PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By clowden - November 20, 2013

Daryl,

I tried what you suggested, I deleted the is file isInstalled.php and tried to reinstall. I have attached a screenshot of what happened afterwords, the server could not change the permissions of anything. So I tried a fresh install in a new directory, uploaded everything new and ran the installer and got the following:

Error renaming 'C:/XXXX/wwwroot/XXXX/adminNEW/data/settings.dat.php.default'
!Make sure this file and it's parent directory are writable!

I was hoping this was going to be the fix, simple and quick, but now I'm at more of a loss than before.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments:

install.png 447K

By Damon - November 20, 2013

Hi Chris,

Based on the image, the CMS Builder files are still not set to writable.

Can you ask your client to make sure all the folders are files are set to writable (full permissions):
/cmsAdmin/data/  - the folder, sub-folders and all files within it
/cmsAdmin/uploads/  - the folder, sub-folders and all files within it

We run CMS Builder on internally on our Windows machines so if the permissions are set correctly, CMS Builder will run without any issue.
Let me know if this works.

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Good news is that I was able to install the software. I tried to restore from a backup, when I clicked the restore button after putting in the information it say that it would not overwrite the 6 user accounts we had in there. Anticipating this I had my client create another database in case this happened. I tried to restore to the new database. After restoring it asked me to log in which I did and nothing was there. I tried restoring again, but nothing. It told me it was successful, but nothing came into the admin.

By Damon - November 20, 2013

Can you make sure the the data backup that you are trying to restore from has content? 

Send in a Support Request so I can take a look and figure out why the restore isn't working:
https://www.interactivetools.com/support/email_support_form.php?priority=free

Thanks!

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Damon, 

It just, I just confirmed. It's saying it restored just like the uploads was doing earlier in this thread, but nothing ever went through. I will fill out the form as soon as this posts.

Thank you,
Chris

By Dave - November 21, 2013

Hi Chris, 

Are you still having file permission issues?  Your server admin should generally be able to address these but here's some tips:

• On Windows/IIS web servers there is usually a special account that starts with IUSR which runs PHP scripts
  • This user account needs read/write/modify access to the various folders indicated by CMS Builder
  • There's some instructions here for System Administrators on setting Windows permissions: http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/common/popuphelp/perms_win2.html

On most major Windows hosts things are configured in such a way that you don't need to worry about any of these settings.   

And for doing database restores, if you backup and restore a single table file then only that table/section will be updated.   But if you restore a full backup that's been created from the Admin menu then it will overwrite everything.  There should be a alert warning that states this, though.  Also, when installing or re-installing the software you can restore from backups on the install page, which saves some time when restoring sites.

Hope that helps, let me know any questions.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com