Membership Plugin Upload Access

By Jason - September 16, 2013

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for posting.  There are no access settings for individual upload fields inside of records, as access is something that would have to be done on the front end pages.  So it sounds like the issue is that on your secure page, you are outputting links that link directly to an upload PDF file, which is fine, unless that link is sent to someone who doesn't have access.  Is that right?

An approach I've taken in the past is to not link directly to a PDF file, but to link to another page (ex downloadFile.php) and pass in the record number of the upload.  That page can be password protected and used to serve up the PDF file for download without actually exposing where that file is located.

Does that sound like it would work for you?  If this is something you would need help with, please send an email to consulting@interactivetools.com and we can go over some options.

Hope this helps

---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By JLynne77 - September 16, 2013

Thanks for your quick response, Jason. :)

That answers the question I had for now. I'll need to confirm actual desired functionality with the client, but I wanted to make sure I was telling him the correct behavior for the system so that I can explain what we can do and understand what he's looking for better.

I'll also keep that option you talked about in mind as well, in case he is looking for a more secure download. When I spoke with him, it sounded like he was looking for an easier way for people to share (meaning to skip the login, as odd as that might seem), but it's good to know there's something I can do to make it more secure if that's what he wants to go with. :)

Thank you again!

-----
~Jessica Sullivan, Crystal Realm Designs.