Membership Plugin Upload Access

By JLynne77 - September 16, 2013

I was wondering what the default access setting for uploads inside a members-only page would be using the membership plugin.

Our client is looking to implement a private section on their site, and they would like to have it so they can link directly to a PDF to share with others, and would linking to an uploaded PDF that's been uploaded to a member page require the person clicking the link to login every time.

For example:

I set up a page that has links to PDF member documents that were uploaded inside that page via the page editor's file upload in the "Insert Link" dialog box. A member who's logged in can see this page and the links. When they open the document, they can see a direct URL in the address bar that leads to the PDF and not the secured page the link is on. They copy the URL for the PDF and send it to someone else via email. The other person receives the email and clicks on the link. Does the second person have to login to see that PDF?

-----
~Jessica Sullivan, Crystal Realm Designs.

By JLynne77 - September 16, 2013

Thanks for your quick response, Jason. :)

That answers the question I had for now. I'll need to confirm actual desired functionality with the client, but I wanted to make sure I was telling him the correct behavior for the system so that I can explain what we can do and understand what he's looking for better.

I'll also keep that option you talked about in mind as well, in case he is looking for a more secure download. When I spoke with him, it sounded like he was looking for an easier way for people to share (meaning to skip the login, as odd as that might seem), but it's good to know there's something I can do to make it more secure if that's what he wants to go with. :)

Thank you again!

-----
~Jessica Sullivan, Crystal Realm Designs.