Search in CMSB backend for specific listing

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 6, 2012   (RSS)

Re: [mbodamer] Search in CMSB backend for specific listing

By Dave - March 6, 2012

Hi mbodamer,

CMS Builder is kind of "inside-out" as far as CMS's go. So it can take a while to get used to, but once you get it you'll be amazed how much time you can save.

A couple solutions for you:

If you know the record number of the article then the quick solution is probably just to click modify on *any* record. You'll see an URL something like this: ?menu=news&action=edit&num=123 Just replace the 123 with your record number. I sometimes use this trick and it's fast and easy for power users.

For regular users, though, you can customize the search fields at the top. Click: Admin > Section Editors > Your Section Name > Searching (tab)

You'll see a page of somewhat technical instructions on customizing the search engine on the top of the page. You just enter some text for each search field you want. So for a "record #" search you can enter:

Record #|num|match

Which means, Display "Record #" as a label, with a search field the searches the "num field", and search uses exact matches, not keyword searches, so 123 matches 123 and not 1234 or 8123.

The first search field always shows on the list page, and if you have more than one there will be an "Advanced Search" link users can click to see and use all of them. Say after your record num search you want a field that searches city and state only for keywords, you could add:

Location Keyword|city,state|query

You can actually build quite advanced search features once you get the hang of it. Give it a try and let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions or challenges.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Search in CMSB backend for specific listing

By mbodamer - March 6, 2012

Dave thank you very much. It took a few minutes to wrap my head around it but I was able to implement your second suggestion which was to add the advanced search.

It is working like a charm and saves us tons of time now.

I am just so set in my way of how LM worked it is going to take some getting used to before I can fully comprehend the features and workings of CMSB.

Thanks!

Re: [mbodamer] Search in CMSB backend for specific listing

By Dave - March 6, 2012

Glad I could help, let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com