Interesting Problem RE: Sharing content (records) between sections

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 10, 2011   (RSS)

By danwilson - February 9, 2011

Hello,
I am building a site for a construction company that wants to simplify the process of helping their customers choose which materials/colors/etc. will be used for various rooms.

I plan to use category menus within CMSB to create "rooms" (such as kithen, bath, living room, etc.), and then "products" within each room (such as floor coverings, wall finish, wall paint color, etc.), and then use the image upload feature to build an array of choices for each.

Ideally, I'd like to have the client be able to enter items that are common among several room types once, and then have those choices "shared" among the room types that use those products. For example, I'd like to create a section called "wall paint colors" that could be updated in one place, so that the same choices can be used in every "room" that allows "wall paint colors" as a choice, without having to modify each room's records individually whenever the client wants to add/delete/modify paint colors.

Hope this makes sense - any insights greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
-Dan

Re: [danwilson] Interesting Problem RE: Sharing content (records) between sections

By ross - February 10, 2011

Hi Dan

Thanks for posting! I think I understand what you are looking for here and I would actually setup each "room" as its own section and then have the different options as records in that section.

On your main list of items, you can create drop down menus that pull values from each "room" that list all the records you created in their sections as options.

Then on the display pages, you can code them to do look ups and display all the appropriate information.

Does that make sense? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/