Help - Multi Records with Categories as check boxes

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 1, 2010   (RSS)

By Mikey - October 29, 2010 - edited: October 29, 2010

I've been looking for a solution to create categories for Multi Records that would allow a site visitor to drill down on records according to the categories the record is associated with. I finally came across Chris' Sub-categories Tutorial and got this figured out with the solutions Chris and Jason have provided. Great tutorial! After reading it I was able to sort my Multi List Records according to related categories. Here's the thread http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=77230

Original Post before finding Sub-categories Tutorial.
I've been trying to figure out how to create categories for Multi Records and can't seem to wrap my mind around how this works, or how best to approach this.

From reading the threads is sounds like I need to create a Category Menu with my list of category options, then populate my Multi Records' categories using a list displayed as "checkboxes" with list options: Get options from database (advanced), Section Tablename: Categories, Use this field for option values: num, Use this field for option labels: name.

But I do not understand how this works with Multi Records and linking back to the Multi Records from the categories generated by the Category Menu.

Is there any detail information on how to build categories Multi Records?

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
I have to build three Multi Records for a client. The three Multi Records are "Company News, Sales Rep Blog and Products". Each Multi Record needs to have individual categories specific to the Multi Record and also similar categories associated with all Multi Records. On the Multi Record page the site visitor would be able to choose a category from either a drop down menu to choose the category of interest. On a search page I'll need to build a method for the site visitor to select the categories they are interested in and finally I need to provide an drop down menu on other pages of the site that will be populated by the categories that would send them to a list page that shows all the results for the category chosen from the drop down menu.

Category Examples:
Company News:
• What's New
• New Products
• Manufactures
• Product
• Sales Rep

Sales Rep Blog:
• What's New
• New Products
• Archives
• Trade Shows
• Sales Rep

Products:
• New Products
• Manufactures
• Best Selling Products
• Featured Product
• Sales Rep

So do I have to build my categories from the Category Menu and is this the best approach, or should I build my categories using a field type "List" as check boxes and enter my categories into each Multi Record I create? Seems like if I need to associate all my Multi List with the same categories, I would need to use a Category Menu... but I just can't seem to figure all this out and how to build it.

I'm completely clueless about how to roll this out.

Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Zick