Can't connect to local MySQL message

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 5, 2010   (RSS)

By rez - August 5, 2010 - edited: August 5, 2010

I have received this message multiple times on 1 site i made with CMSB:

Hello, Website Visitors! We are temporarily experiencing high website traffic or technical difficulties. Please bookmark this page and come back later. Do you run this website? We were unable to connect to the database, possibly because: 1. Your database settings are incorrect (check in /data/settings.dat.php) 2. Your database server is down or overloaded (check with your host) The database error given was: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

hosting support says:
Unfortunately this is one of the common drawbacks to MySQL. Its common for tables to not be closed correctly when a site is visited. Either something in the code is causing this to be more common than normal or the MySQL service is hitting maximum connections - but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I dont have a conclusion or next step from them. :( Its not currently a high traffic site. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Re: [rez] Can't connect to local MySQL message

By Jason - August 5, 2010

Hi,

I have seen this problem before. Usually it's caused by incorrect MySQL information. I've never seen CMS Builder handles the closing of all connections, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Are you able to login to CMS Builder at all? If not, go into the settings file (cmsAdmin/data/settings.dat.php). In there you should be able to your MySQL settings (host name, database name, user name, password). Login to your hosting provider and ensure that these are correct.

Give this a try. If you're still running into trouble, let me know and we'll look into this further.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [rez] Can't connect to local MySQL message

By Chris - August 5, 2010

Hi rez,

"corrupt innodb tables" means that MySQL can't start because its data is (usually only slightly) broken. It's certainly nothing that you or CMS Builder did. This problem is usually caused by hardware glitches, cosmic rays, MySQL bugs, or improperly configured hosts.

A "user's corrupt innodb tables" would suggest that the problem is with someone else's data and not yours (phew!) That said, it's usually possible to recover everything when this happens. So I've heard. I've never actually run into this myself, so hopefully you never do again!

Hopefully your host will look into what went wrong and try to prevent it from happening again! Or, at least, get some systems in place so they can fix things right away when they break.
All the best,
Chris