How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

9 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 1, 2010   (RSS)

By wbhood - March 26, 2010 - edited: March 26, 2010

I have a VP who wants to approve edits done by the folks in her department before they go online. I can't seem to be able to figure out how to set this type of permission. Can anyone assist me with how to do this?

Thanks.

Re: [wbhood] How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

By Jason - March 26, 2010

Hi,

The easiest way to do this would be to add a checkbox field (called approved) to your section. In the Advanced Options for the field you can select "Admin Only". This means that only administrators and editors can view the field.

When you go to generate the code for the page just add this in the "where" field: approved=1

The generated code will then only display records that have been "approved".

Let me know how that works out.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

By Codee - March 29, 2010

Jason, is there way to create an email notification when a record is submitted so someone like the VP in this case gets an email when a record is sitting and waiting for approval. This way they don't have view thousands of records every time someone might have submitted something.?

Re: [equinox69] How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

By Dave - March 31, 2010

Hi Terry,

No, there's no way to have it send an email notification without writing a custom plugin.

Some other methods that are pretty quick to implement, though, are to show "Approved" as a column on the list page and sort those records first, or add an advanced search list field (do this under "Searching" in the section editors) for "Status: Approved, Not Approved'.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

By Codee - April 1, 2010

Hi Dave!

Of course that doesn't help! ;-) Seriously, thanks for the explanation. Have a great week.

Re: [Dave] How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

By Perchpole - April 1, 2010

Hi, Dave -

I seem to recall Article Manager had an email notification feature. I'm certain CMSB would benefit from a similar plugin!

Any chance you can add it to your extensive "to-do" list, please?

:0)

Perch

Re: [Djulia] How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

By Codee - April 1, 2010

Wow! Thanks Djulia! I'll try it out.

Have a great week!

Re: [equinox69] How To: Set user access for approval process before edits go online?

By Djulia - April 1, 2010 - edited: April 2, 2010

The improved version is here :
http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=79097#79097

Thanks for the feedback! Djulia