How do most people use CMS builder?

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 4, 2010   (RSS)

By weblm - March 4, 2010

Trying to understand how most people use CMS builder? Do most people setup a static site, and then use CMS builder to inject editable areas? So if a new page needs to be created then the static site needs to be updated?

Or are people building entire self contained sites using CMS builder, where if a new page is added, it shows up on the site automatically (updating the nav etc)?

Where does the CMS builder strengths really shine?

From what I've seen and read so far is it's not like a Joomla or Drupal type CMS.....that it's simpler and integrates with a current site?

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin
LM

Re: [kblm] How do most people use CMS builder?

By flamerz - March 4, 2010

I make static site before, and "inject" cmsbuilder later.

After this.. maybe some small changes in apearance or logic behaviour (client can change his mind in how to show, search... or distribute the view in the screen).

Usually, i dont make all website editable with cms, only areas that client want to modify.

IMHO, cmsB strengths are.. SUPPORT, speed, easy to learn, and easy! interface for the client.

My another favourite cms is expression engine (a bit expensive). I tryed Joomla.. but no success with the client requirements and i dont feel safe to implement a site with it.

Re: [flamerz] How do most people use CMS builder?

By gkornbluth - March 4, 2010 - edited: March 4, 2010

Hi Kevin,

I think that there are as many approaches to how an individual uses CMSBuilder as there are to how an artist uses a set of paints.

I tend towards at least one static page first, so that the client can sign off on the basic "look" of the site.

After that I'll use a combination of approaches to achieve the finished site. Some incorporating CMS from the beginning and some the static pages first.

No matter which approach I use I always create new sections (tables), add some basic fields and populate those fields with some test data.

Then I'll generate a viewer (web page) with the built in code generator and copy and paste the required PHP code from that into my page design.

Dave Edis a senior developer at Interactive Tools offered the same basic approach. he said:

1) Create new sections under: Admin > Section Editor
2) Add some test content to those sections
3) Create viewer pages under: Admin > Code Generator
4) Save those pages to your website
5) Then add design to those pages.

Some of the major strengths of CMSBuilder are SUPPORT, and that we users have tremendous input into how the program and associated plugins are developed.

All of the CMSB programming and plugins, are created by one team, and all are updated by the same team when required, so that our sites don't break because of some outdated code or plugin when we upgrade. This has been one of the reasons that many open source CMS users have migrated to CMS Builder.

Did I mention SUPPORT?

I'm sure that you've become aware while perusing this forum, that when someone asks a question, the answers are, quick, respectful, professional and usually offer complete, and specific answers to the questions.

There's NO ENTRY LEVEL TECH SUPPORT to be found here and you're never left hanging.

Then there's SUPPORT. (I can't emphasize this enough).

If you're coding knowledge isn't quite up to a particular challenge, or you're under a time constraint and need some help, the team at Interactive Tools is there to help, and they are good, fast, and affordable.

Enough rambling.

CMSB is a winner in my book.

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php