Possible to select fonts?

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 1, 2010   (RSS)

By VN - January 29, 2010

Hi, I'm a newby to this CMS. I see that I can select 'format' for text, but I don't see how to select a specific font. Is this an option that can be turned on? Thanks.

Re: [VN] Possible to select fonts?

By gkornbluth - January 29, 2010 - edited: January 29, 2010

Hi VN,

Welcome to the world of CMS and CMS Builder.

Please try not to get too frustrated while trying to get your head around the new concepts and design challenges that CMS presents.

If I understand you correctly, you want to know how to style a page created with CMSB.

This is certainly not a simple topic, but it helps if you understand basic concept in (stength of) CMS. CMS separates the design of a page from the content delivered by that page to a visitor.

That said, if you want to style your page so that others can not "break" your pages design , then you could use text fields, text boxes to deliver your content, and tables, CSS, style sheets divs, spans and classes in a similar way that you did when you designed a page in HTML to style that content.

If you're allowing the user to style a portion of a web page with a WYSIWYG editor, you can still restrict the classes available to the user.

One difference between html hard coding and CMS is that the information displayed on the page is pulled from either one or a number of database tables (sections) that you create. Those database tables each contain of either one record (a single record database table (for an about us section for example), or a series of records in a multi-record table (a list of events for example).

The information from each selected field in a database table is delivered to your web page (viewer) with the format that you've defined in your div, span or cell.

To complicate the matter slightly, there are 2 kinds of pages (viewers) that can be associated with multi-record tables (sections).

The first is a "list" page which lists the fields that you specify from every record in your table.

This could be as simple as a title and a link to a more involved page about that particular record.

That more involved page is known as a "detail" page which is the second type of page that's associated with a multi-record database table,

I'm not sure that answers your question, but once you've built a few sample pages, all of this will make much more sense.

I hope that helps you to better understand some of the basic concepts of designing with CMS.

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [gkornbluth] Possible to select fonts?

By VN - February 1, 2010

Thanks for the response Jerry. I should have given more detail in my initial post. The site in question has been developed and I am tasked to work with the WYSIWYG editor to update it. In the WYSIWYG editor I see a drop-down menu that allows me to select "format", but I'm not seeing any drop-down menu to select font. Am I missing something ... or is there no way to configure the WYSIWYG editor to allow selection of specific fonts? Thanks.[/#000000]