High Website Traffic?

12 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 28, 2009   (RSS)

By wevolutions - October 26, 2009

Sometimes I get this error message on my website using CMS Builder:

"We are temporarily experiencing high website traffic or technical difficulties. Please bookmark this page and come back later."

Any reason why this may be happening? Or is there any way I can get away from this problem?

Re: [WEVOLUTIONS] High Website Traffic?

By Dave - October 26, 2009

Hi WEVOLUTIONS,

It usually means your website is getting more requests per second than your web hosting account supports.

If you are using a recent CMSB you can see your Max Mysql Connections under: Admin > General > Server Info (at the bottom) > Database Server > Max Connections.

Can you let me know what that number says? (If it displays that is)?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] High Website Traffic?

By wevolutions - October 26, 2009

I am using CMS Builder 1.22. I am not seeing the info you wanted. What is the latest version of CMSB and how do I upgrade?

By zip222 - October 26, 2009

I have had this issue as well. My settings say "Max Connections: 10".

The latest version is 1.36.

You can see the list of changes here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/cmsbuilder/changelog.html

And get the latest upgrade here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/upgrade/

You can find upgrade instructions in the zip and online here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/upgrade.html

There's quite a lot that's been added since 1.22 but you'll likely still need to ask your web host about increasing the limit.
interactivetools.com

Re: [jdancisin] High Website Traffic?

>I have had this issue as well. My settings say "Max Connections: 10"

So what that means is your website can handle up to 10 requests at the same time. Any more than that and you'll get a "max connections exceeded error" (and CMSB will display the database error page found in cmsAdmin/lib/menus/dbConnectionError.php).

10 is quite low. We have ours set to 50 on this site. If the average page takes 1 second to generate that means we can handle 50 page views a second.

The simplest solution is to ask your host to increase this amount.

We're also working on a database caching plugin for the future that will cache database lookups and reduce server load, but that's a little ways off yet.

Hope that helps! Let me know what your host says.
interactivetools.com

By wevolutions - October 27, 2009

If I do upgrade to the newest version, will my website be down and for how long? Also will I need to reload all the current information and photos?

By Dave - October 27, 2009

Hi wevolutions,

Upgrading is usually pretty simple and easy, and there are often many new features that come with upgrades, but I wouldn't bother with that just for this. Try this instead:

Save the attached file to your cmsAdmin folder and run it. It should should show your mysql version and connection limit. My local one says this: MySQL v5.1.36 (Max Connections: 151)

Hope that helps, let me know what it says.
interactivetools.com
Attachments:

showmysqlversion.php 1K

By wevolutions - October 27, 2009

Here is what I got:

MySQL v5.0.67 (Max Connections: 14)

What do you recommend for the Max Connections so that it does not create a problem on the server? Also, do I need to contact my hosting provider to make this change?