High Website Traffic?

12 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 28, 2009   (RSS)

By wevolutions - October 26, 2009

Sometimes I get this error message on my website using CMS Builder:

"We are temporarily experiencing high website traffic or technical difficulties. Please bookmark this page and come back later."

Any reason why this may be happening? Or is there any way I can get away from this problem?

Re: [WEVOLUTIONS] High Website Traffic?

By Dave - October 26, 2009

Hi WEVOLUTIONS,

It usually means your website is getting more requests per second than your web hosting account supports.

If you are using a recent CMSB you can see your Max Mysql Connections under: Admin > General > Server Info (at the bottom) > Database Server > Max Connections.

Can you let me know what that number says? (If it displays that is)?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] High Website Traffic?

By wevolutions - October 26, 2009

I am using CMS Builder 1.22. I am not seeing the info you wanted. What is the latest version of CMSB and how do I upgrade?

By zip222 - October 26, 2009

I have had this issue as well. My settings say "Max Connections: 10".

The latest version is 1.36.

You can see the list of changes here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/cmsbuilder/changelog.html

And get the latest upgrade here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/upgrade/

You can find upgrade instructions in the zip and online here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/upgrade.html

There's quite a lot that's been added since 1.22 but you'll likely still need to ask your web host about increasing the limit.
interactivetools.com

Re: [jdancisin] High Website Traffic?

>I have had this issue as well. My settings say "Max Connections: 10"

So what that means is your website can handle up to 10 requests at the same time. Any more than that and you'll get a "max connections exceeded error" (and CMSB will display the database error page found in cmsAdmin/lib/menus/dbConnectionError.php).

10 is quite low. We have ours set to 50 on this site. If the average page takes 1 second to generate that means we can handle 50 page views a second.

The simplest solution is to ask your host to increase this amount.

We're also working on a database caching plugin for the future that will cache database lookups and reduce server load, but that's a little ways off yet.

Hope that helps! Let me know what your host says.
interactivetools.com

By Dave - October 27, 2009

Hi wevolutions,

Upgrading is usually pretty simple and easy, and there are often many new features that come with upgrades, but I wouldn't bother with that just for this. Try this instead:

Save the attached file to your cmsAdmin folder and run it. It should should show your mysql version and connection limit. My local one says this: MySQL v5.1.36 (Max Connections: 151)

Hope that helps, let me know what it says.
interactivetools.com
Attachments:

showmysqlversion.php 1K

Re: [Dave] High Website Traffic?

By wevolutions - October 27, 2009

Here is what I got:

MySQL v5.0.67 (Max Connections: 14)

What do you recommend for the Max Connections so that it does not create a problem on the server? Also, do I need to contact my hosting provider to make this change?

By Dave - October 27, 2009

I think that's pretty low. That means your site can handle 14 visitors at the same time (realistically people wait a few seconds between page clicks so maybe double that).

It depends on your site, but I'd tell your host that you are hitting the mysql max connection limit on your server and you'd like to know if they can increase it and see what they say.

They might do it for free or have a fee. How much are you paying right now for hosting?

Also, it could be search engine bots that are overloading your site (or contributing to it). You can add this to your robots.txt in your website root to tell them to go slower:
User-agent: *
Crawl-delay: 60
interactivetools.com