Need a little help getting started

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 21, 2009   (RSS)

By lisadye - August 12, 2009

Hello. Boy I feel a little silly even asking this question but I'm having some trouble getting started with my first site. I was able to create all of my sections, create code and save the .php files. They work well after I uploaded them to my web hosting server. My problem is that I want the information to reside inside of my template and I'm just not sure how to go about that. I've read the instructions a few times and I must have an attention deficit disorder [cool] because I just can't seem to get it to work. Any chance I could pay someone at Interactive Tools to help me get started? I'm a really fast learner. I have multiple clients wanting me to do this for them and if I can just get this one working, I will be able to do the others. Excited but discouraged - please help [:)]

Re: [lisadye] Need a little help getting started

By Chris - August 13, 2009

Hi lisadye,

Sounds like you've made a great start!

What information did you want to reside inside of your template? If you can explain exactly what it is you're trying to achieve, we'll be happy to help. :)
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] Need a little help getting started

By lisadye - August 18, 2009

Hello Chris. I played with it a little and I can get each page to work inside of a template perfectly! except...... if I modify the template (I'm using Dreamweaver by the way) then it updates all my pages of course and then all of a sudden they don't work any more....any advice? Want me to send one to you to look at?

Re: [chris] Need a little help getting started

By lisadye - August 20, 2009

Hi Chris. I finally figured out what the problem is but not sure how to stop it from happening. I create a template in Dreamweaver and then build my pages based on that template. I go to each page and copy in the php code and it works fine.

But, if I edit the template in Dreamweaver, it updates all the pages and replaces the top portion of the php - (this below):

<?php header('Content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8'); ?>
<?php

require_once "/home/content/p/c/w/pcwebadmin2009/html/cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php";

list($aboutRecords, $aboutMetaData) = getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'about',
'where' => whereRecordNumberInUrl(1),
'limit' => '1',
));
$aboutRecord = @$aboutRecords[0]; // get first record

// show error message if no matching record is found
if (!$aboutRecord) {
print "Record not found!";
exit;
}

?>

Do you know how I can stop Dreamweaver from overwriting that piece of code each time? And, maybe this is a question for Dreamweaver and not you guys :) But, just hoping someone else has encountered this before and can give some advice.

By the way, LOVE your CMS Builder product. It took me about 4 hours to 'learn' the product. Not bad and WELL worth the money. I plan to purchase a CMS Builder license for every one of my clients that wants to manage their own site. Very cool!

Re: [lisadye] Need a little help getting started

By Donna - August 21, 2009

Hmm,

Unfortunately, I don't use Dreamweaver, so I can't say for sure... but I did some quick googling, and it looks like there's a "Never Rewrite Code" option that you can toggle that might help with that.

See this page for details:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/dreamweaver/ig/Dreamweaver-Options/Rewriting-Code.htm

I hope this helps. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com