System Field access

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 18, 2009   (RSS)

By aev - August 13, 2009

Hi!

I have set up a system field and noticed it can be edited by a 'Editor" user. Can we prevent that? I really thought system fields would be admin only..

-aev-

Re: [aev] System Field access

By Chris - August 13, 2009

Hi aev,

There's an option for fields under Advanced Options called "Admin Only - Field can only be modified by admin or editor user."

However, I don't think this will help you, since your user is an Editor and the option says "admin or editor." :(

Maybe this can be a feature request? Can you let us know what it is you're using the field for?
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] System Field access

By aev - August 13, 2009

Hi Chris,

I don't use the 'Admin Only' field, I use the 'System Field', but it can still be edited by 'Editors' – isn't that a strange behavior?

I want to add a hidden/system field called template, the value I (or the website admin) put inside this field should tell my php page how to present the records from that section. Note: I use the same php file for several sections.

I was first trying to create a drop-down list with only one value, but CMSB doesn't allow me to set a default value for list fields [:/]

-aev-

Re: [Dave] System Field access

By aev - August 17, 2009

I don't want to use the drop down unless we can specify a default value.

It would be nice if I could specify that a field should not be visible or editable at all, this way we can add values for a section that could be useful when creating advanced viewer code.

For this case I simply added the values I needed using a foreach/index loop after the 'list' command for each section.

But for the future it would be nice to have more options on this.

-aev-

Re: [aev] System Field access

By Dave - August 18, 2009 - edited: August 18, 2009

Hi aev,

Yea, we need fields like that sometimes too. Sometimes we have them in MySQL but not in the CMS. I'll add a note to the feature list to add support for an advanced option [x] hidden field.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com