System Field access

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 18, 2009   (RSS)

By aev - August 13, 2009

Hi!

I have set up a system field and noticed it can be edited by a 'Editor" user. Can we prevent that? I really thought system fields would be admin only..

-aev-

Re: [aev] System Field access

By Chris - August 13, 2009

Hi aev,

There's an option for fields under Advanced Options called "Admin Only - Field can only be modified by admin or editor user."

However, I don't think this will help you, since your user is an Editor and the option says "admin or editor." :(

Maybe this can be a feature request? Can you let us know what it is you're using the field for?
All the best,
Chris

By Dave - August 17, 2009

Hi aev,

"System Fields" is only for the field editors and makes it so you can't edit or remove fields unless you "Enable System Field Editing" from the "Advanced Commands" pulldown on the bottom left. It's purpose is to make it hard for users to break fields they aren't meant to change.

"Admin Only" (under Field Editor > Advanced Options) makes it so only Admin's or Editors can see or edit the field.

So we'll have to find another solution because it doesn't sounds like either of those will work for you.

If you wanted to try your drop-down approach that you suggested you could try making it required. Then even though it only had one option the user would be forced to select that option to save or modify.

Hope that helps! Let me know how it goes.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] System Field access

By aev - August 17, 2009

I don't want to use the drop down unless we can specify a default value.

It would be nice if I could specify that a field should not be visible or editable at all, this way we can add values for a section that could be useful when creating advanced viewer code.

For this case I simply added the values I needed using a foreach/index loop after the 'list' command for each section.

But for the future it would be nice to have more options on this.

-aev-

By Dave - August 18, 2009 - edited: August 18, 2009

Hi aev,

Yea, we need fields like that sometimes too. Sometimes we have them in MySQL but not in the CMS. I'll add a note to the feature list to add support for an advanced option [x] hidden field.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com