Temporary hosting for development

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 21, 2009   (RSS)

By zaba - April 20, 2009

Hi Guys. I am having real problems with my clients hosting arrangements which is stalling a project I am working on with them. I have suggested setting up the website on my own url for development and testing and then porting it all over once they have got themselves sorted. Is it possible to buy a license for them (under their domain name) but use it under mine for development. How would I go about this, and also is there any instructions on moving it all to different servers once it has been set up. I need to purchase this license immediately to get going, I am already 2 weeks behind thanks to their incompetence. Hope you can help me. Thanks .

Re: [zaba] Temporary hosting for development

By ross - April 20, 2009

Hi Zaba

Thanks for posting!

You can definitely use their license to develop the site on your test server. Each license is good for one installation at a time so when you move it back to their server, just delete it from yours.

Now, the server move itself can range anywhere from really easy to a little tricky.

The trickiest part is going to be the data. If you need to move the data from your server to the new server, there will be extra work. If you are ok with just entering all the data again, the server move is really quite simple.

How does that sound? Let me know what you think :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [zaba] Temporary hosting for development

By ross - April 21, 2009

Hi zaba

You pretty much got it. The only thing is that with images you've uploaded, the server paths on those will be a bit different on the new server so once you've got a MySQL dump, you'll need to go through it and update the paths.

One other thing is that you only need to move the upload folder to the new server. I would actually just do a fresh install on your new server, copy all the data/schema files to the /data/schemaPresets folder and then do the MySQL stuff.

We can go over that in more detail once you are actually doing it though.

Keep me up to date :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/