Temporary hosting for development

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 21, 2009   (RSS)

Re: [zaba] Temporary hosting for development

By ross - April 20, 2009

Hi Zaba

Thanks for posting!

You can definitely use their license to develop the site on your test server. Each license is good for one installation at a time so when you move it back to their server, just delete it from yours.

Now, the server move itself can range anywhere from really easy to a little tricky.

The trickiest part is going to be the data. If you need to move the data from your server to the new server, there will be extra work. If you are ok with just entering all the data again, the server move is really quite simple.

How does that sound? Let me know what you think :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Temporary hosting for development

By zaba - April 20, 2009

Okay, I think It would all be developed including data input on my hosts servers then the whole thing moved once the new hosting is set up. Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't it just be a case of copying all files in the cmsAdmin folder to the new server (and making sure the permissions are the same), copying the tables and data from the MySQL database (probably by exporting the tables as sql and then importing into the new database). And change the require_once server path to that of the new host, and finally change the mysql settings in the admin panel (or settings.dat.php). Is there anything I've missed. If thats all then I think I can manage that without being too scared, and anyway I've got you guys [sly]

Re: [zaba] Temporary hosting for development

By ross - April 21, 2009

Hi zaba

You pretty much got it. The only thing is that with images you've uploaded, the server paths on those will be a bit different on the new server so once you've got a MySQL dump, you'll need to go through it and update the paths.

One other thing is that you only need to move the upload folder to the new server. I would actually just do a fresh install on your new server, copy all the data/schema files to the /data/schemaPresets folder and then do the MySQL stuff.

We can go over that in more detail once you are actually doing it though.

Keep me up to date :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/