Changing the Colors of the Section Buttons

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 17, 2009   (RSS)

Re: [sidcam] Changing the Colors of the Section Buttons

By ross - March 16, 2009

Hi sidcam

Thanks for posting!

There isn't really going to be an easy way to change those buttons. I can see how managing 50-60 sections would be quite a long list to work with though so let's have a look at another idea.

What are all of your sections doing? Are they all just single updating a single page or are they all list pages?

Let me know and we can go over how to combine your single pages into just one section.

Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Changing the Colors of the Section Buttons

By sidcam - March 16, 2009

There's quite a bit of table redundancy, actually. Maybe 2/3 of it is redundant.

There's two sections that have the same basic layout of a newspaper- i.e. sub-sections like Headline News, Business News, Entertainment, etc. There's a main section page (like the front page of a newspaper) that has summaries of each sub-section and then there is the sub-section list view pages and the individual article pages. All those sub-section tables and list view/article pages are just copies of each other setting in their own individual folders.

I was playing with list fields last week and realized I could probably set up radio buttons and sorts/search commands to create virtual sub-sections like I had when I was using Article Manager and then consolidate them all down to just one set of list view/article pages. Just haven't figured out how yet.

The biggest challenge I have in doing that is that I have a "site level" table that holds records with subsection data- i.e. custom data that changes with each sub-section like ads, navigation and links, header/footer differences, etc. I don't want my users when they are creating an article to have to go through a list of which subsection data needs to be added to the page. So I would have to have the page know that if the radio button category for table A is "Business News" then it should use the "Business News" record out of Table B. Right now I'm just calling that second table on every page but changing which record to look up in the table by hand based on what folder the page is in. (and that's where it's gotten over my head).

My real problem is that my main pages are accessing 15+ tables (i.e. all those subsection tables) and I'm concerned about performance times so I'm thinking reducing tables might help par that down as well.

Thanks

Sid

Re: [sidcam] Changing the Colors of the Section Buttons

By ross - March 17, 2009

Hi Sid

Thanks for the update!

It does sound like you could set that up with fewer tables. It should help with the performance too which is nice.

Make sure you have a backup of both your template files and the MySQL database before you start making any changes.

It's hard for me to say exactly how you can condense the tables but it does sound like you have some ideas. As long as you have those backups, have a go at it and let me know how you make out.

If you wanted to post a link to your site, I might be able to give you some suggestions on how to setup the different sections.

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/