ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

14 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 13, 2009   (RSS)

By DHester - April 3, 2008

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 14016 bytes) in /home/dbd/public_html/cmsbuilder/admin/lib/menus/default/uploadForm_functions.php on line 238

I get this when I attempt to upload a 2MB photo using the upload field in CMSBuilder.

My PHP install allows up to 30MB. I've played around with the various setting in the Admin Panel but cannot seem to determine the problem. I upload 5MB+ filed routinely on the same server using Photopost and other PHP scripts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Darren Hester
www.designsbydarren.com

Re: [DHester] ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

By Dave - April 3, 2008

Hi Darren,

Resizing images takes a lot of memory. Do your other script resize images when you upload them?

Try adding this to the top of /lib/init.php, some hosts let you change the memory limit from within PHP:

<?php

// raise memory limit (if allowed)
ini_set('memory_limit', '128M');

Let me know what happens and if the other scripts resize?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

By DHester - April 3, 2008 - edited: April 3, 2008

Thanks! That works Dave [;)]

I realize it's not very efficient to upload a 2MB JPG only to resize it to a 40KB image, but my end-users will attempt to upload them straight from their digital cameras. Just wanted to be sure I could handle up to 2MB to be safe.

The other script I use it photopost. It creates thumbnails and preview images. I've uploaded 5-6MB images on my photo sharing site ( www.pixelperfectdigital.com ) without any issues. It's hosted on the same server. Not sure how they handle the memory.

More of a server resource issue. No problem with CMSBuilder I understand.

BTW - I love all the enhancements you've added. I updgraded from 1.08 to 1.12 today! Still playing around with my test site, but I'm extremely pleased with the product. [cool]
Darren Hester
www.designsbydarren.com

Re: [DHester] ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

By Dave - April 4, 2008

Ok, good to hear it's working now. I've added that line to the next version so you won't need to worry about adding it again next time you upgrade.

Glad you like the new features! We have more planned too so it's pretty exciting. :)
interactivetools.com

Re: [InHouse] ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

By Dave - May 27, 2008

Jayme,

Want me to get in there and take a look? Email me FTP and CMS login details to dave@interactivetools.com (email, don't post login details).

Also, if you could upload a sample file to the server via FTP that I can use to upload and recreate the problem, that would be helpful.

I should be able to fix it or give you some solid information to be able to take back to your host.

Hope that helps.
interactivetools.com

By InHouse - May 27, 2008

Great! Thanks Dave.
I'll send you the details shortly.
Jayme

By NigelGordijk - May 13, 2009

Hi, Dave.

I've just installed CMSB on a client's server and I get a similar error message in the top right of the screen:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 300447632 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

I installed an unused copy of CMSB 1.27, and even after I added the extra code to /lib/init.php, I still get the error message.

Is there anything else I can try, please?
Nigel Gordijk

Common Sense Design: User-focused Web design
Tel: 001 519 342 5348 | Web: www.commonsensedesign.net

Re: [NigelGordijk] ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

By Dave - May 13, 2009

Hi Nigel,

How large of a photo are you trying to upload when that error occurs (or how many)?

And is it always reproducible or is it intermittent?

It sounds like it's trying to use 300 megs, which is quite a lot. Let me know some more details and we'll see if we can track it down for you.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

By NigelGordijk - May 13, 2009 - edited: May 13, 2009

Hi, Dave.

I haven't tried to upload any images, yet. All I've done is install the basic CMSB application in preparation for integrating it with my front-end templates.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see the type of message I'm getting.

The client already has Article Manager 2.0 installed on their server, and they'll be switching to CMSB when I've completed the project.

Kind regards,
Nigel Gordijk

Common Sense Design: User-focused Web design
Tel: 001 519 342 5348 | Web: www.commonsensedesign.net