ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

14 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 13, 2009   (RSS)

By Dave - May 13, 2009

Ok, I think I've seen that host before. It's the same (or the same problem as) a host that had PHP misconfigured and was using up too much memory.

If you can send CMS/FTP login details I can confirm that or track down the problem and get it resolved. Email dave@interactivetools.com, don't post login details to the forum.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] ERROR: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted

By NigelGordijk - May 13, 2009

Will do. Thanks!
Nigel Gordijk

Common Sense Design: User-focused Web design
Tel: 001 519 342 5348 | Web: www.commonsensedesign.net

By Dave - May 13, 2009

Hi Nigel,

We had a previous client with this same problem hosted by InMotion Hosting. I think it's the same host. I've created a test script that demonstrates the problem on your clients domain here: /cmsAdmin/set_include_path_error.php I've also attached it for anyone else who runs into this problem in future.

Basically the problem is that their PHP is misconfigured such that sometimes it uses up hundreds of megs of memory when the php function set_include_path() is called. Try sending this message to your host to see if it will help:

Hello Host,

We've been getting errors setting up some PHP software on our hosting account. Our programmers have isolated the issue down to a glitch with the installed version of PHP. When the php function set_include_path() is called (with any value) the script produces an error about 50% of the time that looks like this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 448923520 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

We're created a minimal test script to reproduce the problem. Try this url below. You may need to reload a few times, it happens about 20% of the time:
http://www.insert-domain.com/cmsAdmin/set_include_path_error.php

Can you have your technical team research and resolve this and let us know an ETA of when it can be fixed? Thanks!

PS: Please note that this test script is using next to no memory and is simply demonstrating a glitch with the current PHP install.

If they are unable or unwilling to fix it another workaround is to hardcode the full filepath to cmsAdmin in php.ini under "include_path" and then comment out the line with set_include_path in /cmsAdmin/lib/init.php

Hope that helps! Let me know what they say.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com