Product subcategories and related products

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 18, 2013   (RSS)

By Jesus - September 17, 2013 - edited: September 17, 2013

Hello,

I've 3 product subcategories and I need to have 3 different tables (because of the urls, as they need to have specific urls for each subcategory). I'm looking to have a select box automatically created based on each subcategory so I can get a list from all 3 different tables related products.

I know this its possible, I just had a hard time figure it out. If any one can help me to the right direction... :) Thanks!

Jesus

By Jesus - September 17, 2013

On each of my products subcategories tables, I'm creating a list field with multiple value checkboxes. As each product on each subcategory can be linked to multiple applications. So the product subcategory will contain this field with up to 6 values (on the list).

No problem here, now... what I need to do its to generate the proper query in order to grab all related products for the same application from different tables and include those organized by application on a select box with a link.

I know how to do this for 1 table but, how can I do this from 3 different tables on the same query?

Thanks for your help!

Jesus 

By Jason - September 18, 2013

Hi Jesus,

That's an interesting problem.  Are you looking to create this drop down box inside the CMS?

There are ways of doing it, but I'm not sure if this will be the best approach for you.  The issue with having a dropdown box populated by 3 different tables, is that when you are displaying those selections on the front end of the site, you have no way of knowing from which of those 3 tables a given selection came from.  So if you needed to retrieve a record based on a selection, or output a custom URL, you wouldn't be able to.

An easier approach would be to have 3 different dropdown boxes, 1 for each table.  That way you can have a simple query to get the records, and will be able to easily retrieve related records if need be.

Hope this helps

---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/