CMSB v3.69 Beta (Website Backup)

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 29   (RSS)

By Dave - April 25 - edited: April 25

Hi everyone,

We're excited to announce the release of a new beta version of CMS Builder, which includes a new section: Admin > Backup > Website Backup

This feature allows you to quickly create a zip file of your entire website and database, save it on the server, and optionally download it through your browser. You have the flexibility to choose between backing up everything or only specific code files (*.php, .js, .css, etc.), and a snapshot of the database is also included by default. Here's how this feature can benefit you:

• Faster backups: Downloading numerous files via FTP can be time-consuming. It's not uncommon for us to initiate a website backup and then switch to other tasks while waiting for it to finish. With this new feature, creating a zip file and downloading it through your browser takes mere seconds, allowing you to create snapshots of website changes as frequently as needed.
  • Reduced backup size: We offer the option to backup only code files (*.php, .js, .css, etc.) or everything, and since the files are compressed into a zip, they consume significantly less space on your hard drive. Code file backups are particularly handy when you want to keep track of code changes over time.
  • Simplified change history: You can name your backups with descriptions like "before new revisions" or "post launch," providing you with static backups at specific points in time. This makes it easy to compare and retrieve an old file if necessary or to investigate changes. Backup zips can be easily unzipped and compared using your preferred diff/compare app (I personally use WinMerge on Windows). Additionally, since we're taking a snapshot of the database, you'll even be able to see changes in the database data between backups.

I'll note that git and modern source control tools are great, and we use them on larger projects, but when you don't have that option, this feature provides a great alternative.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has a server without the ZipArchive PHP library we're using, it often comes bundled with PHP but might not be everywhere.  If you don't have it it will display an error message. I'm also curious about default server timeouts.  Give this is a try and let me know if it doesn't work on your server.

Here's the changelog.

*** April 25, 2024 - Version 3.69 (Website Backup)

SERVER REQUIREMENTS: PHP 8.0+ and MySQL 5.7+ (or MariaDB 10.2+)

NEW FEATURES
- Website Backup: New feature to backup your entire website, including files and database (under: Admin > Backup)

MINOR CHANGES & BUG FIXES
- Added improved error reporting and instructions when Composer dependencies are not installed
- Misc Code and other minor improvements.

You can download the latest beta here: https://www.interactivetools.com/download/

Please feel free to ask any questions or post any feedback, questions, concerns, or bugs you find! 

Thanks, we look forward to your feedback! :)

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Deborah - April 26

Hi, Chris.

The Website Backup worked perfectly - no errors or server timeouts. It's a useful tool and I like being able to add an identifier to the file name.

I also tried a backup after temporarily uninstalling the "php82-php-zip" extension. I saw the expected alert, "The PHP ZipArchive library is not available on this server..." letting me know the backup did not process.

One small idea... I chose a larger site to back up for my test, and noticed the backup was taking some time, so I went on to work in other tabs. Glancing now and then at the Backup & Restore, the only indicator that the backup was still in process was my browser tab loading icon. If there were an on-page "success" alert, I could know at-a-glance when the backup is ready for download.

Thanks for this new feature!
~ Deborah

By Dave - April 29

Hi Deborah, 

Thanks for the feedback, that's a great suggestion.

For the next release the "Create Backup" button will show "Loading..." and become grayed out on click.  Once the backup is complete a notification will appear at the top of the screen "Created website backup file ... ".

We should have that out shortly.

Thanks!

interactivetools.com

By Dave - April 29

Hi All, 

For everyone following this thread, we've released the official version with a few more fixes here: 
https://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum-posts.php?CMSB-v3.69-Released-Apr-29---Website-Code-Backups-82798

Thanks for your support!

interactivetools.com