3.05 - How to force Field Prefix and Field Description to be on seperate lins form a text field

10 posts by 7 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 27, 2016   (RSS)

By gregThomas - June 23, 2016

Hey Kurt,

The latest version of CMS Builder actually pushes the description onto a separate line once the users browser window is too narrow to display the content on the same line.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way you can force the label to always be on a separate line without modification of the HTML in CMS Builder.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Kurt - June 23, 2016 - edited: June 23, 2016

Was it by design or oversight that this occurred?  I believe it leads to a poorer UX that we were able to have before, and unprofessional display results.

Please look at the attached images.

By Damon - June 24, 2016

Thanks for letting us know. I will look into it and get back to you.

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By kitsguru - July 3, 2016

You can do an override as a temporary fix. Create a file called custom.css in the main cmsb folder.

# sets the help text to red - optional

.form-inline .div-inline-block:first-child .help-block {
    color: #f00;
}

# override the display property just for the pre-text
.form-inline .div-inline-block:first-child {

display: block !important;
}

Jeff Shields

We've done similar things and it works well.

It would actually be helpful for all the form elements to receive class names. If they had both general (class="prefix') and tied to the element (class = "prefix prefix-myFieldName") in the HTML then we could be very specific with styling code. I remember discussing this option with the team a few years ago.

Jayme

By Daryl - July 6, 2016

Hi all,

Jayme: in v3.03, we've added a plugin filter called "showField_addRowClass" that enables a plugin to add a class to a field row.
It will add a class to a div with "form-group" class which is the parent div of the label's and field's.

Kurt: Can you try Jeff's solution?

I will have a discussion with our senior programmer about supporting <br> or making a field appear on the next line.

Thanks,

Daryl Maximo

That's great to know, Daryl! This may be a real option to help some of our clients decide to migrate to 3.x.

Thank you.

J.

By Daryl - July 27, 2016

Hi all,

I just want to update this thread to let everyone knows that we've updated the text field prefix.

On the next CMSB release (v3.06), adding <br> at the end of the prefix will bring the following text field to a new line.

A similar update was done for the text field description where adding <br> tag at the beginning will bring the description to a new line below the text field.

Cheers,

Daryl Maximo

Thanks Daryl. That's a nice option to have.

Jayme