Select multiple records and drag

17 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 6, 2023   (RSS)

• Archived  

By JeffC - July 14, 2023

I think I have seen this in the forum, but I can't find it now: a plugin that extends the functionality of dragsortorder so you can select multiple items and drag them together.

If it doesn't exist would it be possible to create in a plugin?

Thanks

Jeff
  • Archived  

By Dave - July 20, 2023

Hi JeffC, 

That's definately on our wishlist.  Were you thinking about the CMS record list pages or the section editors or both?  Where in the CMS did you most want this feature? 

Thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By JeffC - July 21, 2023

HI Dave

It would be useful on both. On this occasion it was for record list pages. My client has an ecommerce site with 1000+ records in a section editor called 'products'.

They would like to manually group products together. 

I have installed the 'insert item here' plugin that solves the problem when uploading new items, but they have lots of old records that need to be moved.

We've looked into grouping by tag and a 'you may also like feature', but for this particular scenario there are no hard rules as to when the grouping is required.

Jeff
  • Archived  

By JeffC - July 21, 2023

How much would a plugin cost Dave? If there's enough interest maybe it could be crowd funded?

Jeff
  • Archived  

By Dave - July 26, 2023

Hi All, 

Thanks for posting about your interest in this.  I'll have a look at the code for this to see what's involved and then get back to you.  

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Steve99 - August 7, 2023 - edited: October 10, 2023

Jeff,

I had some time between projects and this utility was of interest. That being said, I've created a plugin I'd like to share with the community called "Move Records Here". It allows you to select multiple records in a manually sorted (dragSortOrder) list section and move them to their new sort position.

Note: This plugin has not been tested with Category type and has built-in checks to not enable for these sections.

Dave checked out the plugin before I put the finishing touches on it. He still plans to look into the multi record drag sort, but this plugin will work as a nice stop-gap.

See attached.

Best,
Steve

• Archived  

By JeffC - August 7, 2023

Thanks Steve.

That's very generous of you.

Jeff

Jeff
  • Archived  

By gkornbluth - August 7, 2023

Yes Thank you Steve,

Nice addition, glad you had the time.

Do you mind if I include it as a recipe in my CMSB Cookbook

Thanks,

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php
  • Archived  

By andreasml - August 7, 2023

Wonderful job, Steve.

I think it would be useful to apply this function with a section editing as well. Sometimes, you need to move some of the fields of a section to another position within this section, and you must do it one by one. For example, if you want to move them from the top to the bottom of the list, this can be quite frustrating. It would be helpful if you could select more than one of the fields and move them all together to another position. 

Just an idea. 

Andreas