Convert to Text

By gversion - October 14, 2022

Hello,

I think the Convert to Text plugin is fantastic however as it requires Java I can’t use it for clients that are on the shared hosting platform we use (as Java isn’t supported).

Is there any workaround someone can suggest?

I’m also wondering if Java really is necessary to index files or if it could be done purely in PHP… I’m hoping something in PHP8 maybe can handle this that wasn’t available when the plugin was first developed back in 2016.

Any knowledge or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

By Dave - October 14, 2022

Hi Greg, 

There are some libraries out there such as https://github.com/PHPOffice but you'd need to find one (or multiple) to support excel, word, pdf and any other documents you want to parse. It would be rewrite but you could use the existing plugin framework.  The trick is researching and finding some well supported libraries that do the parsing.

The easiest might be to just to upgrade the client website to a virtual private server or another hosting account with java.  Just be sure to test the plugin on the new server before you move them over.

Also, if you want have us write a new plugin for the project we could look into that as well.  

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By gversion - October 14, 2022

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the quick reply and good to hear that it’s technically possible in PHP!

I’ll check out the libraries you’ve mentioned and may well be in touch to get a quote for a bespoke plugin.

Thanks again,

Greg