Error Log - Table crash with cmsb__error_log table with over 13 gigs of info

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 18, 2018   (RSS)

By daniel - October 18, 2018

Hi Dan,

It is a bit concerning that your error log grew to 13GB in size, however, modern servers can support MySQL table sizes of 2TB+, so unless this was causing the server to run out of disk space, I think it more likely that this is a symptom of whatever caused the server crash, rather than being the sole reason. I've definitely seen situations where search engine bots crawling sites very quickly causes spikes in server load, which - depending on a few factors - can lead to a crash. 13 gigs in your error log could easily be indicative of that level of bot traffic.

While it's possible to disable the error log for certain cases, there's no simple way to globally turn it off for the whole site. Though it should be possible to either fix whatever is causing the errors or suppress the error log in those places. Whether or not it was the size of the error log that caused the crash, it is still a good idea to prevent it from ballooning to that size, and reducing the errors on your site will also reduce its impact on the server load if you ever get "spammed" by search engine bots in the future.

To get a better idea of what has happened, could you let me know:

• Your installed version of CMSB
  • Your installed version of Permalinks Plugin
  • A sampling of any errors showing up in the Developer Log

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com