Section Editor Feature request - dragsort order

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 18, 2018   (RSS)

By kitsguru - April 16, 2018

I have been working through transferring a static site to CMSB. As I add the records from the static site I am adding the most recent first.

However this poses an interesting dilemma. Once I am finished, the records are in the reverse order of what I eventually want. I have over two hundred records that dragging and sorting each one is extremely time consuming.

What would be nice to have is several mechanisms to control how dragsortorder can be used.

1. A checkbox in the section editor that can toggle whether new records are added to the top or bottom of the list.
  2. An advanced command that allows you to sort selected records either ascending or descending.
  3. A modified 'create record here' plugin that can add records below or above the current selection.

There has been a number of issues with dragsortorder mentioned in the forum and I believe some thought into the above would solve many of them.

Jeff Shields

By Damon - April 17, 2018

Hi Jeff,

With Drag Sort Order default sorting, you can change that under the section editor Sorting tab to be either:

dragSortOrder DESC - to have new records appear at the top of the record list (default)
or
dragSortOrder ASC - to have new records appear at the bottom of the record list

Also, you can use the Create Record Here plugin, which you mentioned, to add records exactly where you want. Here is the link for anyone else interested in this plugin:
https://www.interactivetools.com/add-ons/create-record-here/

And if you have a group of records that have a common value you could search on, you could drag from within the search results. 

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By kitsguru - April 17, 2018

Thanks Damon,

I knew all that, I am asking for a change as that does not solve my problem.

The create record here only places a new record in one place, above or below depending on the sort order, sometimes you want it to go the other side Of the current position. 

if you read through my request, I was trying to demonstrate a situation where I have entered 200 records newest to oldest while transferring data manually from a static site. This causes the dragsortorder value to be in the reverse of what I eventually need it to be.

What I was hoping for was a mechanism to reverse the dragsortorder value for all or a selected group of records.

I had spoken with Greg before Imposted my request, and he understood the dilemna.

Jeff Shields

By kitsguru - April 18, 2018

That is all I need for now.

Jeff Shields

By Dave - April 18, 2018

Hi Jeff, 

Backup the table first through the CMS, then try this: 

UPDATE cms_yourtable SET dragSortOrder = 1000000 - dragSortOrder

Replace cms_ with your table prefix and yourtable with your table name.

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer

interactivetools.com