Show Last updated date

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 16, 2018   (RSS)

By JeffC - December 7, 2017

Hi

I have been asked to add a notification to a website that provides the last time the database was updated and what to what section. It would read something like:

[Section Name] last updated: Monday 1 January.

This forum has the function to do this, but I am not using the forum plugin, this is just for a standard cmsb installation.

Thanks

Jeff

By JeffC - January 15, 2018

Thanks Dave

That's got me on the right track, but it's not quite what I was after. Your solution shows me how to display the last time Articles was updated. But let's say I have two tables: Articles and News. How would I display the name and date of the most recently updated table? 

For example: if Articles was updated 1 January and News was updated 2nd January, my website would display:

Latest Update: News, 2 January 2018

Jeff

By leo - January 16, 2018

Hi,

If your database server's operating system is not Windows, you can use this code:

$result = mysql_get_query("SELECT UPDATE_TIME, table_name  FROM   information_schema.tables  WHERE  TABLE_SCHEMA = '{database_name}'  ORDER BY UPDATE_TIME DESC");

$result is an array with the last updated table's update time stamp and its name. Replace {database_name} with the database your cms is using. And you probably want to add more "WHERE" statements to filter system tables such as _accounts.

If you are using Windows, it only updates "UPDATE_TIME" on insert and delete. Which means if you update a row this "UPDATE_TIME" won't get updated. You will probably need to use this code:

$tables = ['accounts','products'];  
$updatedDateArray = [];  
foreach($tables as $tableName){
    $resultArray = mysql_get_query('SELECT MAX(updatedDate) AS updatedDate FROM ' . getTableNameWithPrefix($tableName));
    $updatedDateArray[$tableName] = $resultArray['updatedDate'];
}
$lastUpdatedDate = max($updatedDateArray);
$lastUpdatedTables = array_keys($updatedDateArray, $lastUpdatedDate);

Change $tables to be the tables you want to keep track of. $lastUpdatedDate will be the lasted date an update happened and $lastUpdatedTables will be an array with all tables that have the same lasted updatedDate.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Leo - PHP Programmer (in training)
interactivetools.com