Merging and transferring databases and content from V2 to a new V3 setup

11 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 2, 2016   (RSS)

By willydoit - November 17, 2016

Hi all,

We currently have a number of databases within a CMSB 2 install.

In order to explain to help understanding of what we wish to do, we have seperate databases for a general business directory, self catering accommodation, serviced accommodation, holiday parks etc

I am looking to consolidate a number of the databases and transfer them into a new CMSB V3 install during a site rewrite.  As most of the databases relate to adverting pages which are updated by the advertisers it is important that we are able to transfer all the content from the V2 databases into the new V3.  A concern is whether the images for example in the currently separate databases may have identical names which may become a problem if the databases are merged into a new database. I will also have to deal with information which is labelled differently in each database but is in fact the same type of info such as "Business Name" in one database whereas it may be "Company Name" in another. 

The reason I had separate databases initially (Created many years ago with the first version of CMSB) was that each directory had fields which were not relevant to the other databases so it seemed simplest to have separate databases. I understand that now it is possible to select a business type which would then present only fields for completion that are relevant to the business type selection made which is what we ultimately wish to achieve.

I havent worked with sql databases beyond simple tasks within CMSB so am looking for advice on how feasible the task is.  As we will be rewriting the site on a temporary domain we are hoping to play around with the creation and merging without affecting the existing site but need to know how simple a process (or otherwise) it is likely to be and advice on any particular software which will make such merging and importing as simple as possible.

Due to current illness my mental abilities are somewhat diminished so am looking for a solution that even the mentally challenged among us can succeed with.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

By ross - November 17, 2016

Hi there.

Thanks for posting.

What I am getting is you have several installations of CMS Builder (varying versions) and want to combine them all into one installation of the current version

Right off the bat, there isn't going to be an "easy" way to do this and we may end up continuing the conversation in our consulting department.

Let me give you a general idea of the work involved, though. This will let you gauge what parts you want to handle on your own and what parts we can help with via consulting.

The general idea will be to install one brand new copy of CMS Builder 3.06, then start copying over the data from your other installations.

There will be two phases.

Phase one will start with using CMS Builder's database backup tool to create backups of each table in each of your installations.

Next, using FTP, download each backup file along with each table's schema file to your local computer.

Next, using FTP again, upload all those files to your new installation and import all the data.

Note: Depending on what versions you are working with, you may need to upgrade them first so you actually have the database backup tool.

And that will be it for the first phase. 

Phase two will involve working with your file uploads. We can discuss that after completing phase one.

Does that all make sense? Let me know any questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By willydoit - November 17, 2016

Hi Ross,

Thanks for that, I think you have the gist of things although I probably didnt explain it well.  My need is not to merge different databases, I should have referred to them as tables. For example I have a single database with around 20 different tables which includes serviced accommodation, a table for self catering accommodation, one for holiday parks one for holiday cottages and a general business table.

As all the tables contain very similar information what I want to do is merge those tables into one new table and separate the various business types via search queries where needed. Unfortunately fields which contain the same type of data across the tables may have different field names such as one may have  Business name, another table may call the same thing company name and perhaps another establishment name.

What I am anticipating I will need to do is some form of import into the new table with field mapping such as importing one table mapping "establishment name" to the new "business name" field. I am sure this will be a straightforward job if not rushed and I assume that all the uploads are contained within a single uploads folder and just need copying over.

Does my understanding come close to the reality?

Thanks in advance.

By ross - November 17, 2016

Thanks for the update.

What I am getting now is you want to take all your existing tables and create one master table with all the data.

That's going to simplify things a bit.

You would still be best to start with a brand new installation of CMS Builder.

Next, you can use our CSV Export plugin on each table to get a CSV of your data.

Then, you would use our CSV Import plugin on your new installation to get the data imported.

The CSV import plugin will let you map fields from the CSV to fields in your database as well as create new fields in your database.

The main thing is that this process will still be time intensive if you have 20+ tables per website.

The learning curve is definitely lower, though.

Once that's all done, we'll need to have a separate conversation on how to import file uploads; that's going to be quite advanced.

I recommend focusing on the data first and then we'll circle back for the uploads

How does that all sound? Let me know any questions.

Thanks!

Cheers,

By willydoit - November 18, 2016

Hi Ross,

I purchased the two plugins and have managed to merge some of the databases although there will be some tidying up to do its a lot less work then re-entering all the data manually.

As you probably  suspected I noticed that there wasnt a matching field for the uploads section. I did notice that there seems to be a separate table for uploads so assumed I would need to go through each exported table and import again but this time import just the uploads field into the uploads table but there seems to be a number of fields in the new uploads table so came to an abrupt stop :-) 

So you are aware the original  cmsb is a version 2 and the new site is a version 3 however I want to avoid doing an update on the original (live) site in case it breaks anything as there is a lot of bespoke scripting and functionality that I dont want to risk causing a problem with when we are in the middle of a complete rewrite anyway.

If you could advise how we transfer the uploads from the old v2 and import into the v3 with all the images correctly allocated to the correct account that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

By ross - November 21, 2016

Hi.

Thanks for the update.

Glad you got the plugins going.

Getting the images imported next is going to be much more involved.

What I have for you on that is a basic outline of the steps involved. There will likely be changes required and there will be some trial and error.

I imagine the process will take several hours or more depending on the complexity.

Keep in mind that in the forum here, we will be focused on discussion how to do this work.

If you want to move our conversation over to consulting, we can get much more indepth and even do the work ourselves.

Here are the basic outline for now:

1. Using the CSV export plugin, create another export of the first database. At the same time, create a CSV for the upload table of this database.

Note: there isn't a link to the upload section in your interface so you'll need to manually go there via: http://yoursite.com/cmsb/admin.php?menu=uploads

2. Of the two exports you just created, open the one that isn't for the uploads and look for the "num" column. What you need to do here is add "100" in front of each value.

For example, if your nums are:

After you add "100", you'll have:

3. Now open the upload table CSV and add the same "100" to the "num" and "recordNum" column.

4. Still in the upload table CSV, change the value in "tableName" for every record to the name of the table you created in your new installation (the one that you previously just imported everything into).

5. Repeat the first 4 steps for every database you want to import.

6. You can re-import each of the main CSV's (the ones that aren't for your upload tables) into your new CMS Builder again.

7. Create a new text file called "masterUploadsCSV.csv"

8. Open the first upload CSV you created and copy everything into the new "masterUploadsCSV.csv"

9. Open the second upload CSV and copy everything but the very first line. Paste that all into "masterUploadsCSV.csv" at the bottom.

10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 for each of the upload table CSV.

11. When you have completed "masterUploadsCSV.csv" import that into your new CMS Builder.

12. Download all the upload files from your various installations and upload them all to the new CMS Builder.

13. Note: if your sites have any uploads with the same file name, there is going to be an overwriting issue and one of the files will need replaced.

And there we go. Like I said, there will be some trial and error and we can move into consulting if you like.

Let me know any questions or feedback.

Cheers,

By willydoit - November 24, 2016

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the info, before I start can I clarify something. Because I am merging multiple tables, lets say 4, when I imported and merged the data from the old tables into the single new table in the v3 database I didn't include the num field as I thought that if numbering say started at 01 in each table then I would end up with 4 records with the same num value which I assumed would cause all sorts of issues. I thought that the records would receive a new and unique  num value created by the new table when imported.  Should I have included the num field when importing/merging the old data? as it looks as though the original num value will be used to match the uploads/images to the correct account.

At this stage removing all the imported entries and re-importing would not be a problem as we havent done anything with the new table yet.

Thanks

Steve

By Dave - November 24, 2016

HI Steve, 

Yes, the record 'num' is important for associating the records to the uploads.  It can be a bit tricky but one method when merging multiple tables into one with conflicting record numbers is to add a base number to each table.   

So say you have: 

CitiesTableA with records: 1, 2, 3
CitiesTableB with records: 1, 2, 3

You can add 1000 to all the the A table records and 2000 to the B table records so you end up with: 

CitiesTableMerged with records 1001, 1002, 1003, 2001, 2002, 2003.

Note that you need to make sure the number you add is greater than the highest number in all the source tables.  Also you'll need to increment the record numbers for that table in the uploads table as well so everything matches up.

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By kitsguru - December 2, 2016

You might want to consider renaming the num field to old_num and let the import assign a new num - then, add the prefix (1000, 2000 etc) to the old_num.

This will allow you to get a clean new num and still be able to reference the original num via old_num.

Jeff Shields