Business of the Day feature

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 2, 2016   (RSS)

By willydoit - November 29, 2016

Hi all,

we have a table containing local businesses and I would like cmsb to automatically pick one advertiser at random and publish that as the business of the day for a 24 hour period. 

Our table has three types of business, featured standard and complimentary, I only want featured or standard listings included. We will have a section on a number of pages which will pull in certain information from the record of the selected business of the day so we need the selection to be made outside of the pages and not a new one created each time a page loads.

I am not a programmer in any way and current health issues means that I find it difficult to get my brain functioning as it should so please bear with me.

I believe I need a routine that will run at say midnight every day that will select a single record from our advertisers table and place the data into a separate table which will only ever have one record in it that will be overwritten at midnight each day with the new selection.

I will then display the data from that table into a number of different pages within the site and also create a RSS feed to allow our social media pages to automatically display the business of the day.

That's all the theory, I just need some feedback on how feasible it all is and a few pointers on the best way to achieve it. As the website concerned is a community website which basically runs at cost we dont have much in the way of funding to throw at this so any help provided will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

By ross - November 29, 2016

Hi there.

Thanks for posting.

I have a good idea of what you are aiming for and I think there are a few options.

I also think this is going to be quite advanced and feel the conversation will be a better fit for consulting.

Could you email me via consulting@interactivetools.com and we'll continue there?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/