Multi record sections: Get record # from end of url. eg: viewer.php?record_title-3

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 9, 2015   (RSS)

By Twocans - March 8, 2015

Hello,
I am having a play with the  "Code Generator" for the first time,

I am used to dreamweaver etc over the years but having heard about the "Code Generator" thought I would give it a go.

Admin > Code Generator > Detail Page

First off, I have a go at

Custom: Load record #

I enter the value  of 10 as I know I have a record for that. I use the Code Generator, I have a look at this code and change

'tableName' => 'designer_details',
'where' => "`num` = '10'",

to

'tableName' => 'designer_details',
'where' => "designer_name` = '10'",

this all works fine as designer name is my foreign key.

then I thought huumm exciting I would have a play with the other option......

"Multi record sections: Get record # from end of url. eg: viewer.php?record_title-3"

I use the Code Generator and select option Multi record sections:

I past this code into a page called viewer.php

I view this page viewer.php and am greeted with "Record not found!" when I view the webpage.

Then I try viewer.php?record_title-10 but having tested again in my browser I am still been greeted with "Record not found!"

I know I have a record in the database,

I have had a look at the manual and in the CMSB Cookbook but could not find more detail on this.

I would be grateful if you advise me please as to how to view this correctly.

regards

Kenny

By Dave - March 8, 2015

Hi Kenny, 

Try creating a pair of viewers like this in the code generator: 

• Code Generator > List Page > (just use default options) > save as recommended filename, eg: yoursection-list.php
  • Code Generator > Detail Page > Select "Multi Record Section" > save as recommended filename, eg: yoursection-detail.php
  • Note the instructions on the last page will tell you to update "viewer urls", which can be found under: Admin > Section Editors > Your Section > Viewer Urls (tab)
  • Add the full url for "List Page Url" and "Detail Page Url".

How it works is the "list" viewer shows a list of all the records.  And the detail page shows information on a specific record.  

For an example of this take a look at our showcase.  Here's a list viewer page: 
https://www.interactivetools.com/showcase/index.php

And here's a detail viewer page that it links to: 
https://www.interactivetools.com/showcase/detail.php?Confluence-179

There's lots of other interesting things you can do, including making search engines really quickly ( http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/viewer_search.html ) but that's the basics.  

Hope that helps, let me know any questions.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Twocans - March 9, 2015

thanks dave,

This is what I have always known as a master detail. aka what you call the list page we call it the master page.

at the end of the day what I was trying to do with the code generator is create joins or join 4 tables together, I had my primary key of the parent table was akin to the foreign keys for the other tables. All in all I will just just hand coding in dreamweaver, 

regards

kenny