Populate subcategories from parent categories

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 23, 2014   (RSS)

By Jesus - September 17, 2014 - edited: September 17, 2014

Hi,

I've been the forums and I'm kind of lost trying to get what I need. I'm looking to create a conditional list from another list for my categories/subcategories. Will try to explain this the best possible way below.

On my products table, I need to use 3 categories and each category will have their own subcategories.

I don't want to create just a single list of categories/subcategories all together. I want to create 2 lists fields.

The 1st field (Category), will have the 3 main categories and the 2nd field, will have their proper subcategories for each particular category previously selected. 

Is there a way that I can use to have those 2 list fields related to each other so if I choose CATEGORY 1, I'll be able to select just the subcategories related to the parent CATEGORY 1 and so on?

So far... I created a categories table, where I'm using 3 fields (Num, Category, Parent), here i'm able to just add categories and select which category will act as a parent for every category added. So far so good, but...

On my products table, while trying to add a record, I need to display the PARENT categories, on my category list (I can do that) but then, I don't have a clue how can I select just the subcategories related to the selected PARENT CATEGORY on a 2nd list.

Any ideas?, I'm lost here... thanks in advance,

Jesus

By Jesus - September 17, 2014

Ok...

I created 3 tables.

Families

Categories

Products

Now, I can select the Family with no problem while creating a new product but now, I still need to display Categories related to the family I selected from my Family list

By gregThomas - September 19, 2014

Hi Jesus,

I think I understand what you're trying to achieve. So when a user selects a family from the first drop down, the second drown will only display categories that are linked to that family?

I think you need to use an advanced MySQL drop down, and then use a ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE to filter the drop down. Here are a couple of posts that go over how to implement the system:

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum-posts.php?postNum=2230106#post2230106

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum-posts.php?postNum=2232494#post2232494

Let me know if you have any questions on how to implement this feature.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Jesus - September 19, 2014

AWESOME Greg!!!

Both threads helped me!!

Thank you so much!

Jesus

By Jesus - September 22, 2014

Hi Greg,

I made this possible but now, I've another question. I did it previously on other CMSBuilder project but on this one, its the 1st time I'm using this ESCAPED_FILTER_VALUE method.

I'm creating a filer by category on my front end page, so I can display all products for all categories or just a category specific products. I'm assuming that the category value remains on the database once I save the record.

Here's the code I'm using:

<a href="#" class="btn btn-default" data-filter="*">Todos</a>

<?php foreach (getListOptions("productos", "categoria") as $value => $label):?>
   <a href="#" class="btn btn-default" data-filter=".<?php echo $value;?>"><span class="hidden-xs"><?php echo $label;?></span></a>
<?php endforeach ?>

I'm not getting any category (categoria) value here. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the head-ups,

Jesus