Front-End Editing and Permalinks

By gregThomas - August 14, 2014

Hey Perch,

You need to use this function:

permalink_cms_onSaveUpdatePermalinks($tableName, $isNewRecord, $oldRecord, $recordNum);

If you've included the viewer_functions on the saved/edit page, then you should have access to it. 

You'll need to call it after you've updated/saved the record. You'll also need to make sure that the field that contains the permalink is called permalink, as the function will access the value for the permalink using $_REQUEST['permalink'].

Finally, the function needs to be able to access the schema of the section you're editing, it does this using a global called schema. You can create this using the following code:

$GLOBALS['schema']     = loadSchema( $tableName );

The variables for the function are as follows:

• tableName - The table name that is being to (looks to be category in your example).
  • $isNewRecord - Boolean value for if you're creating or editing a record. True for new, False for old.
  • $oldRecord - An array of the record before it was saved. If this is a new record just pass in an empty array, if it's an old record use the mysql_get function to get an array of the records content before you update the record with the new data.
  • $recordNum - The record num for the record.

Here is some example code that would update a record in a blog section, and update it's permalink as well:

// load viewer library
  $libraryPath = 'cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php';
  $dirsToCheck = array('C:/wamp/www/','','../','../../','../../../');
  foreach ($dirsToCheck as $dir) { if (@include_once("$dir$libraryPath")) { break; }}
  if (!function_exists('getRecords')) { die("Couldn't load viewer library, check filepath in sourcecode."); }

//Set page variables
  $_REQUEST['permalink'] = 'test4000';
  $recordNum             = 6;
  $isNewRecord           = false;
  $tableName             = 'blog';
  $GLOBALS['schema']     = loadSchema( $tableName );

//Get the old record
  $oldRecord = mysql_get($tableName, $recordNum);

//Update the record
  mysql_update($tableName, $recordNum, null, array('permalink' => $_REQUEST['permalink']));

//Update the permalinks
  permalink_cms_onSaveUpdatePermalinks($tableName, $isNewRecord, $oldRecord, $recordNum);

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Perchpole - August 14, 2014

Hi, Greg -

Thanks for this. I very much appreciate your help.

I've tried to add your code to my existing code - but it doesn't seem to work.

$tablename                        = 'pages';
  $recordNum                        = null;
  $where                            = null;
  $colsToValues                     = array(); // these fields get automatically mysql escaped unless you end fieldname with =
  $colsToValues['createdDate=']     = 'NOW()';
  $colsToValues['createdByUserNum'] = @$CURRENT_USER['num'];
  $colsToValues['name']             = 'New Page';
  $colsToValues['permalink']        = "newpage";

$newRecordNum = mysql_insert($tablename, $colsToValues, true);

$isNewRecord       = true;
  $oldRecord         = array();

$GLOBALS['escapedTableName'] = mysql_escape( $TABLE_PREFIX . $tablename );
  $GLOBALS['schema']           = loadSchema($tablename); // fake currently loaded schema
  if (!$GLOBALS['schema']) { die("Invalid table name '" .htmlencode($tablename). "'"); }
  include_once(SCRIPT_DIR . '/lib/menus/default/common.php'); // load category menu functions 

permalink_cms_onSaveUpdatePermalinks($tableName, $isNewRecord, $oldRecord, $newRecordNum);
  updateCategoryMetadata();

Note: This is the save code for creating a completely new page.

This code only works if I comment out the permalink_cms_onSaveUpdatePermalinks line.

What have I missed?

:0/

Perch

Hey Perch,

I think you might need to set the permalink into the request array, but everything else looks correct.

$tablename                        = 'pages';
  $recordNum                        = null;
  $where                            = null;
  $colsToValues                     = array(); // these fields get automatically mysql escaped unless you end fieldname with =
  $colsToValues['createdDate=']     = 'NOW()';
  $colsToValues['createdByUserNum'] = @$CURRENT_USER['num'];
  $colsToValues['name']             = 'New Page';
  $colsToValues['permalink']        = "newpage";
  $_REQUEST['permalink']            = $colsToValues['permalink'];

$newRecordNum = mysql_insert($tablename, $colsToValues, true);

$isNewRecord       = true;
  $oldRecord         = array();

$GLOBALS['escapedTableName'] = mysql_escape( $TABLE_PREFIX . $tablename );
  $GLOBALS['schema']           = loadSchema($tablename); // fake currently loaded schema
  if (!$GLOBALS['schema']) { die("Invalid table name '" .htmlencode($tablename). "'"); }
  include_once(SCRIPT_DIR . '/lib/menus/default/common.php'); // load category menu functions 

permalink_cms_onSaveUpdatePermalinks($tableName, $isNewRecord, $oldRecord, $newRecordNum);

The function pulls the new permalink name directly from the REQUEST array, so we have to fake the POST/GET variable by setting it manually. 

Cheers!

Greg

Greg Thomas

Thanks, greg - but it still won't run!

The bottom of the code looks like this now...

$colsToValues['permalink']        = "newpage";
  $_REQUEST['permalink']            = $colsToValues['permalink'];

$newRecordNum = mysql_insert($tablename, $colsToValues, true);

$isNewRecord = true;
  $oldRecord   = array();

$GLOBALS['escapedTableName'] = mysql_escape( $TABLE_PREFIX . $tablename );
  $GLOBALS['schema']           = loadSchema($tablename); // fake currently loaded schema
  if (!$GLOBALS['schema']) { die("Invalid table name '" .htmlencode($tablename). "'"); }
  include_once(SCRIPT_DIR . '/lib/menus/default/common.php'); // load category menu functions

mysql_update($tableName, $newRecordNum, null, array('permalink' => $_REQUEST['permalink']));
  permalink_cms_onSaveUpdatePermalinks($tableName, $isNewRecord, $oldRecord, $newRecordNum);

I added the hi-lighted lines - but something isn't right!

Perch

Hey Perch, 

Are you getting any errors? Or is it generating a 'false positive', where no errors are displayed, but it isn't actually updating the record?

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Thomas

Greg -

With the permalink_cms_onSaveUpdatePermalinks line in the code it simply will not run.

If the line is removed a new page is added as expected.

Perch

When I was testing I had a similar issue, which I resolved by enabling the permalinks plugin, have you got the permalinks plugin enabled at the moment?

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Thomas

Yes!

Greg -

I think I've got it. The script wasn't running because I was providing a default name for the permalink. You can only do this once! If you try again it will reject the name because it already exists in the database.

What I need to do is (in the short term) find a way to append a random value to the end of my given permalink - to make it unique.

I'm creating a new page every time - so what would work best?

new-page_000001

new-page-000002

etc...?

Perch