Having trouble with uploads: Fatal Error

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 4, 2014   (RSS)

By kevbarker - June 2, 2014

I am having trouble with uploads and am getting a Fatal error. Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 15364 bytes in /home/kevbarker/raingonc.com/admin/lib/image_functions.php on line 100.

Server Upload Limits are as follows

max_input_time: -1
post_max_size: 100M
upload_max_filesize: 100M

The photo I was trying to upload: (just one photo ) is 6.74 MB

Shouldn't the above settings allow for one photo of 6.74 MC to be uploaded?? Is it a problem with the server? It seems to work fine with smaller photo filesizes.

I am hosted with Dreamhost.

See attached screenshots.

I would appreciate input and suggestions. My client has been trying to upload photos with no success and is not happy.

Thanks

Kevin

By Steve99 - June 4, 2014

Hi Kevin,

File size itself doesn't directly equal the amount of memory needed. The factor here is the image resolution. 

The most straight forward article I've seen on this topic regarding the GD library and memory: 
http://alexrabe.de/2008/05/13/understand-gd-library/

Here is a recent example I used with a client of ours. Let's say you have a photo that is 4.3MB file size, but the resolution actually equates to 5,920 x 7,714. This would actually translate to over 130MB of memory needed. 

In photo editing programs such as Photoshop, you can see the sizes in the bottom of the window (generally displayed like this: 4.3MB/130MB).

Hope this helps.

Best,
Steve