CSV Import - Multiple Fields

By davidayates - April 15, 2014 - edited: April 15, 2014

How can we import a CSV file with empty fields?

What's currently happening is the import software takes the below sample row:

0001,Title,Description,,Item,,,Item

...and shifts the data to remove the empty fields, which places fields into the wrong column, ie:

0001,Title,Description,Item,Item

Thanks for any help

By Chris - April 16, 2014

It looks like there are at least two PHP bugs related to this issue. For future reference, they're

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46463

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=55674

What version of PHP are you using? You can find this in CMS Builder in Admin > General Settings > Server Info > PHP Version.

I'll see if I can download the same version of PHP as you're running and try to come up with a fix for you.

All the best,
Chris

By davidayates - April 16, 2014

Thanks, Chris - I can't tell you how much time that would save, as we're haveing to import data a column at a time.

PHP Version 5.4.26

By Chris - April 16, 2014

I don't have a proper solution for you as of yet, but here's something you can try in the meantime that might help:

Open the CSV file in a text editor and do a search-and-replace of

with

,"",

Thus, you'll change

0001,Title,Description,,Item,,,Item

into

0001,Title,Description,"",Item,"","",Item

...which should work.

You may need to repeat the search-and-replace to catch all the double commas.

Note that if you have any double commas in legitimate strings, such as

0001,Title,"My favourite punctuation characters are the comma,, doublecomma,, and the semi-colon.",,Item,,,Item

...you'll need to manually fix that line because after you do the search-and-replace, you'll have a line that isn't valid CSV:

0001,Title,"My favourite punctuation characters are the comma,"", doublecomma,"", and the semi-colon.","",Item,"","",Item

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Chris

By davidayates - April 17, 2014

Thanks for the tips. We tried both single anddouble quotation marks and just "null", ie:

,'', or ,"", or ,null,

And unfortunately, CSV used the various text as entries in the fields rather than leave them null. Maybe CSV Import needs a tweak where if it detects an empty field, it uses "null" for the MySQL insert/update?