Simple Cart Compliance Checkbox

By Perchpole - April 8, 2014

Hello, All -

I would like to add a compliance checkbox to the Simple Cart order page. This will make users acknowledge they have read the terms and conditions before being able to proceed with payment.

I thought it would be a fairly simple thing to do myself - by adding an additional error to $errorsAndAlerts but I can't seem to follow the code.

Any tips would be most welcome!

:0)

Perch

By Chris - April 11, 2014

Hi Perch,

Add this to the bottom of your customCart.php:

addFilter('sc_order_final_validation', 'my_final_validation', null, 3);
function my_final_validation($errorsAndAlerts, $orderNum, $order) {
  if (!@$_REQUEST['agree']) {
    $errorsAndAlerts .= "You must agree to the terms!<br>\n";
  }
  return $errorsAndAlerts;
}

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Chris

By Perchpole - April 12, 2014

Hi, Chris -

Thanks for this. I added the code as suggested - and added a checkbox to the order page. Sadly however, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the process. The order proceeds to PayPal whether the box is ticked or not!

:0/

Perch

By Perchpole - April 15, 2014

Hi, Chris -

$GLOBALS['SC_ORDER_OVERRIDE_FUNCTION']      = 'payPalStandard_simpleCartCheckout';

$GLOBALS['SC_PAYMENT_PROCESSOR_FUNCTION'] isn't set.

Thanks,

Perch

By Chris - April 16, 2014

A ha! It looks like the payPalStandard plugin is missing the sc_order_final_validation plugin hook. Please edit payPalStandard.php, search for "_sc_validateOrderRequest", and add the code in red below after it:

//Simple Cart validation task
  $errorsAndAlerts = _sc_validateOrderRequest($order);
  if ($errorsAndAlerts) { return $errorsAndAlerts; }

// last-chance order validation before payment (e.g. for inventory remaining checks)
  $errorsAndAlerts = applyFilters('sc_order_final_validation', '', $order['num'], $order);
  if ($errorsAndAlerts) { return $errorsAndAlerts; }

list($grandTotal, $subTotal, $extraLineItems, $cartItems) = sc_tallyCart($order['num']);

I've added this to our development branch of the plugin, so it will appear in the next version released.

Does that help?

All the best,
Chris

By Perchpole - April 17, 2014

Hi, Chris -

Perfect. It works now.

If I wanted to go the extra mile - and I always do - how could I print this particular error message at the bottom of the page (where the compliance checkbox is located)?

I supose I'm asking, how do you break apart the $errorsAndAlerts array into it's component parts?

:0)

Perch

By Chris - April 21, 2014

Hi Perch,

$errorsAndAlerts is intended to be used as a string so that it can easily be injected into the top of a page. I think the approach I would take would be to extract the specific error message from $errorsAndAlerts and set a true/false flag for that one field, then check for the flag later down the page:

<?php

$messageToSearchFor = "You must agree to the terms!<br>\n";
$termsCheckboxError = contains($messageToSearchFor, $errorsAndAlerts); // look for the specific error message
if ($termsCheckboxError) {
  $errorsAndAlerts = str_replace($messageToSearchFor, '', $errorsAndAlerts); // remove the specific error message
}

?>

<?php if ($errorsAndAlerts): ?>
  Errors: <?php echo $errorsAndAlerts ?>
<?php endif ?>

<input type="checkbox">
<?php if ($termsCheckboxError): ?>
  Please check the box!
<?php endif ?>

Does that help?

All the best,
Chris