New CMSB Responsive Templates: What browsers should we support?
In the next few releases, we're looking looking to update the template of the backend with a new template the supports/implements:
- Responsive Design (scales to smaller mobile devices and screens)
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
- Flat Design
- Bootstrap 3
Question: What's the minimum browser versions you still support (or you've been asked to support)?
For my vote Dave I would love all those items - we are getting into responsive design more and more and are loving some of the initial testing of stuff in HTML 5. We go back to IE8 typically. Hopefully with the official demise of Windows XP that browser version will become a distant memory but until that point we have clients who use it. Thanks - love CMSB!
Our contracts stipulate support and testing in "modern browsers" and common mobile clients. To this end, we never go back further than IE9 in active testing and assume that users of Chrome, FireFox and Safari remain current via updates.
We've found Bootstrap 3 to play nicely with the mobile agents we test on iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8.
Suspect that if you stick to Bootstrap standards you should be in very good shape for the most part. Customizations would be the real question-mark here.
I' am very happy about this back-end upgrade not only for the responsive design but for the bootstrap framework. This will unlock many possibilities i think.
Some feature recommendations:
- ability to add custom html help (with images) for each fields within popover (that will helps on the cms design to the end users)- sidebar counter badges for multi-sections (with on/off feature)
- after-login back-end customizable modal for announcements, feature upgrades, news (admin privileged)
- true multi-language support for plugins that have front-end messages (newsletterBuilder, membership)
- please don't drop the sidebar menu designs (its really unique and very clean for end-users)
- ability to add custom placeholders (or php code) in the content of block fields (exmaple: add images or retrieve content from another section)
Thank you for hearing me, :-)