how to copy database records of one table section to another table section?

9 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 6, 2013   (RSS)

By Codee - November 30, 2013

Hi all, with CMSB, (ver 2.53) how do I copy all the records under one table section into another table section with different name? For example I have 2 table sections: drills (with 150 records in it) and a new table section called advanced_drills (currently with 0 records in it).  I need to copy all the records under drills into advanced_drills (the fields in both sections are identical).

Thanks!

By gadefgaertgqe - December 2, 2013

Not trying to hijack this thread but this is something I am also interested in. For me, copying a record that is about to be deleted to another section. If I find out how, I'll post here...

By Daryl - December 2, 2013

Hi,

What I would do is I will write an importer script where I will add new records to another section from the old one and execute it once.

For example:

// load records from 'drills'
list($drillsRecords, $drillsMetaData) = getRecords(array(
  'tableName'   => 'drills',
  'loadUploads' => true,
));
foreach($drillsRecords as $record){
  mysql_insert('advanced_drills ', $record, true);
}

This will work if both tables have identical fields. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Daryl Maximo
PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By Codee - December 2, 2013

Great idea! Please post it if it gets worked out. Thanks!

Hi Daryl,

Thanks! I am a novice at some of this stuff.  "Where" would I post the code you just wrote and how would I run it?

By Dave - December 2, 2013

Hi equinox, 

Backup first (under Admin > General > Backup) and then you can just create a new the script like this:

<?php
  // load viewer library
  $libraryPath = 'cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php';
  $dirsToCheck = array('C:/wamp/www/sb/CMS Builder/','','../','../../','../../../');
  foreach ($dirsToCheck as $dir) { if (@include_once("$dir$libraryPath")) { break; }}
  if (!function_exists('getRecords')) { die("Couldn't load viewer library, check filepath in sourcecode."); }

// load records from 'drills'
  list($drillsRecords, $drillsMetaData) = getRecords(array(
    'tableName'   => 'drills',
    'loadUploads' => true,
  ));

foreach($drillsRecords as $record){
    print "Inserting record #{$record['num']}<br/>\n"; 
    mysql_insert('advanced_drills ', $record, true);
  }

print "Done!"; 
?>

Careful not to refresh it multiple times or it will copy the records twice!

Note: If the script doesn't run just update the "// load viewer library" code with code that was generated for your website.

Hope that helps!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

I apologize for not being clear on what I'm asking.  Think "dumb it down" first and then my question: "Where does this code go specifically?" and "How do I execute this script?"  Based on the type of code you both wrote out, it seems it would go on a .php page, maybe call it "copyrecords.php" or something?  Or does it go in the header area of a different .php page like drillList.php or drillDetails.php?  Or should this be added in like a plugin?  Does that clarify what I'm asking?  Thanks!

By Codee - December 6, 2013

Thanks!!