Get the ID of the sent email log record

9 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 14, 2013   (RSS)

• Archived  

By Brownleather - November 6, 2013

I'm using the sendMessage function to sent mail.

I would like to have the sendMessage function return the ID of the log record created.

This will allow us to link the sent message to a view screen in a ticket system we are building.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Archived  

By Dave - November 12, 2013

Hi Brownleather, 

By "of the log created" do you mean the record created in "_outgoing_mail"?

If so, there's no really easy way to get at that, but you could check for the highest record number before and after sending a message:

list($latestRecordNum1) = mysql_get_query("SELECT num from {$TABLE_PREFIX}_outgoing_mail ORDER BY num DESC", true);
  // send message here...
  list($latestRecordNum2) = mysql_get_query("SELECT num from {$TABLE_PREFIX}_outgoing_mail ORDER BY num DESC", true);
  $newLogRecordNum = 0; 
  if ($latestRecordNum2 > $latestRecordNum1) { $newLogRecordNum = $latestRecordNum2; }

Unless you know that for sure logging will ALWAYS be enabled, and that you're checking for errors from sendMessage() then you could just do this:

// send message here...
list($newLogRecordNum) = mysql_get_query("SELECT num from {$TABLE_PREFIX}_outgoing_mail ORDER BY num DESC", true);

Hope that helps, let me know any questions!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Brownleather - November 12, 2013

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply,

I am currently using a similar method to the one you describe.

The issue is that I have a few apps that use the send mail function, conceivably, there can be a situation where the newest record is not the one that was just sent.

I was hoping that there would be a way to have the mysql_insert function (which writes the outgoing log record) pass the id back to the sendMessage function.

Thanks for your help.

• Archived  

And an altogether different approach would be to write a wrapper function sendTicketMessage() that logs ticket messages to another table and works exactly as needed returning the latest log if (from a new table).  Because you may find that outgoing mail has some extra fields or isn't exactly what you want (unless it's just for debugging/log purposes).  I know it gets full of messages on our site and I like to clear it out from time to time.

Anyways, hopefully one of those approaches will work! 

interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Brownleather - November 12, 2013

Wow! I'm thrilled with your response time!

I'll give that a try and let you know if it works.

Thank you very much.

[I don't feel good asking this.. but I'm desperate... can you sprinkle some of your  super power powder on this?

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/forum-posts.php?downloadMail---Downloading-email-error-79099

;)

• Archived  

Glad it worked.  I'll figure out that Download Mail issue.  It's been escalated to me already so it must be tricky.  Stay tuned! 

interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Brownleather - November 14, 2013

Hi Dave,

Any updates with the Download Mail issue?

• Archived  

By Dave - November 14, 2013

Yep, I'll respond on that other thread shortly.  Stay tuned!  Thanks.

interactivetools.com